Fermenter Design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishinDave07

Reaction score
Is it beneficial to ferment in a tall narrow container or a small stout container?Both containers being 7 gallons and PET 2. I figure that it would be easy to chill a taller, narrow fermenter as oppose to a small stout one.

Thanks in advance.

May I ask the reason since I know the plastic wine fermenting buckets are more stoutish? Any scientific reason for the optimum design for wine but not beer and vice versa

side by side comparisons show that you get a lower finishing gravity with short and wide. The test was done on a standard carboy and a corny keg.

I still use cornies because I can get two in my fermenatrix.

B

low and wide puts less pressure on the yeast at the bottom. low and wide is know to produce more esters.

Historically Belgian and English breweries have used low and wide fermenters. It's assumed that they had to make major adjustments to how they manage the ferment when they switched to tall narrow cylinder conical fermenter. The obvious adjustment was to raise the ferment temps to produce the esters they were getting at lower temps in the old style low and wide fermenters.

PS: I have the moose drool clone on tap and it's great

Latest posts

Back