Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbiegirl33

Reaction score
I brewed yesterday and finished at 7 pm. It's now 7 am and nothing is happening inside the carboy. I used white labs yeast that was best by march 10. Should I be worried or re-pitch some other yeast? My temp was at 68-70 last night and I am trying to warm it a few degrees right now. It's a wheat beer.

image-650645928.jpg

There's a big sticky a the top of this forum that warns you that fermentation can take up to 72 hours to show visible activity. Relax - 12 hours is nothing at all to worry about.

Dont warm the beer any more, it's plenty warm enough for fermentation. Best by March 10th means just that - you still have viable yeast cells now, just not as many as you would have had. Next time, consider making a starter, it will help you out a lot (and they are stupidly easy to make).

Here's an article that contains answers to most of the frequently asked questions for new brewers... you might find it useful.

Common Sense for Homebrewers

By the way - the pic looks great!

Besides what homebredad said about how fermentation taking up to 72 hours to begin, it looks to me you have krausen forming on top of the carboy. Everything looks fine to me.

Thanks, my last one started going crazy by 12 hours so I was worried on this one. I'll give it some time.

Every fermentation is different. Different recipes, different yeast strains, more or less viable yeast cells, temperatures, etc, etc, etc.

Congrats? See, it'll be fine.

And just because it is slower now doesn't mean it will stay that way...

The yeast can't read, so calendars and instructions, they just do what they need to do, regardless of how long we think they should. They're in charge of this, not us. Fast or slow is irrelevant, just whether it ferments or not.

i always give my beers a good 2-3 days before heading for my hydrometer (if infact it looks like nothing is happening)

The yeast can't read, so calendars and instructions, they just do what they need to do, regardless of how long we think they should. They're in charge of this, not us. Fast or slow is irrelevant, just whether it ferments or not.

Somebody needs to get those darned willful yeast in line...

I noticed a big difference in speed of fermentation when I started:

A.) Aerating a bit more
B.) Making Yeast starters

I started relying on BeerSmith viability counts and culture amounts needed to get me in the general area of pitching a good amount. I found that LHBS tend to just give you yeast that is easiest to use without complicating the process. (It's not that starters may not be advisable), but more that they don't want to complicate the process for a more novice brewer and give them more chance to screw up. I have noticed a big difference in take-off time, amongst other things though since I started pitching the more "correct" amount of yeast for the batches as judged by their gravity etc. That and aerating.

I'm just saying that had some to do with my slow yeast activity..it was being underpitched.

Back