Fermentation timeline

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hiphop

Reaction score
Hey all, a few quick questions. I am currently fermenting 4 different beers all ales and all were brewed on the same day about a week ago. All 4 have finished fermentation (less than 1 bubble in 5 min). I like to use secondary fermentation to help with the clarity. What is the minimum amount of time that I should let them sit in secondary? If fermentation is completely done, final gravity has been taken and is exactly where I want it, can I do a few days in secondary in a cold place such as my garage (40F)? Use that secondary time to “cold crash” the beer? I’m going to keg all the beer so I’m not worried about loosing most if not all the yeast. What’s your guys thoughts?

Just cold crash the primary when you are positive that fermentation is fully complete, and skip the secondary. You won't see any difference in clarity. The risks of using a secondary far outweigh any benefits. Stir in some gelatin if you like, or use gelatin in the keg and simply pour a pint or two off to clear it when its ready. The gelatin can be working as it's carbonating.

It's hard to pinpoint how long to cold crash because it depends on the recipe and flocculation level of the yeast. Try maybe 3 days and check the settling and clarity. After kegging, the first few pints may have a bit of haze but it too should clear with time.

I wouldn't use the amount of bubbles as an indication of fermentation being done, additionally I wouldn't transfer it if you haven't hit your final gravity, taking a gravity reading will really help with all that. That said it sounds like you've done this before so if you've had good luck with it more power to you.

As SoCal-Doug said how long you need to col d crash is going to depend on a lot of factors including how cold you let it get. I don't always bother clarifying but when I do I use gelatin and cold crash to just below freezing. I am usually done after 3 days and rarely need more than 7. You can do it in your garage but I think at 40 it will take you just a bit longer than me but it really depends on a lot of things so it may not take any longer. I used to use a secondary and don't anymore, most of the time, and cold crashing works fine in my primary.

If you want to do a secondary go for it but you could cold crash in the primary, even if you just move your fermenter. As SoCal-Doug said you will get more clarification in the keg so I wouldn't worry about it too much, just use gelatin or something like that.

Back