Fermentation Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BUCKEYE1303

Reaction score
My basement is 62*F. Is this an OK temp for an Ale given that fermentation creates heat? Or is this too cool for the yeast to start.

That should work for most Ale yeasts. It might be a little slow however. Several things can be done to speed it up/bring up the temp a few degrees. 1 is to wrap it in like a blanket. A second thing is to turn on an incandecent lamp near the fermenter, this will heat the area a degree or 2.

Just be sure to check the temp if you do anything to help it warm up - you should have a lcd thermometer on the fermentor or go to walmart and buy an aquarim on. It is possible, though not likely you could bring the temp up over 68-70. Much above 70 and you will get off flavors. In general, unless you are doing a Belgian style, it is better to be to cold than to warm.

Thanks, Nordeast. Currently I am brewing the BB Oktoberfest which says it can be fermented at ale temps with the included lager yeast. Im hoping the cooler end of the 60's will be enough for it. We shall see. Its been three days since brewing and it just started to show signs of action in the airlock. How long should I let it ferment in the primary before moving it to my secondary?

I don't want to open it too early to test the FG. I don't want to take a chance on contaminating it. (What is the best way to just sanitize my hydrometer?)

get yourself some star san in a spray bottle... Spray hands, lid, hydrometer, etc... you will be good to go...had to dig out my thermometer out of the fermentor one time... lol...

I don't want to open it too early to test the FG. I don't want to take a chance on contaminating it. (What is the best way to just sanitize my hydrometer?)

I don't sanitize my hydrometer. I draw out a sample with a wine thief and test it in the hydrometer test tube. Now the wine thief is sanitized of course with starsan. If you don't have a wine thief then I suppose a sanitized turkey baster or piece of racking cane with your finger over one end would do.

The big thing is discard the sample after you take your reading.

Thanks for your replies. Until I get a Thief Ill have to get the spray bottle with star-sans. Thanks for the advice!

I have a basement and the temp stays at about 68 to 72 which is the high side for the yeasts I use. Is it better to ferment on the lower side of the range for the yeast being used?

OP- I use idaphor, but more posters seem to like the star san.. >shrugh< either will do as long as it is a contact no rinse sanatizer - and I dont let the idaphor dry either. What I do is take a sample with a wine thief, put that to my hydrometer jar (or put the hydrometer in the theif after removing theif from fermentor. Then I drink, not dump my sample. Tasting can tell you things, and it is fun :cross:

Back