Fermentation temps too low..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARV9673

Reaction score
Can Primary temps be too low? My Basement is a nice steady 60F right now and I was a little overzealous with my batch of Oktoberfest (yes Im way too late, sorry) and pitched at about 60 as well. Will this do anything but slow my fermantation and extend my time in the primary for a few days?

On a side note, I am looking forward to trying some refrigeration-free lagering this winter in the same basement.

I just looked it up. (package was in French)
gave a range from 15-34C. 15C works to roughly 59F ... SO I'm just not going to worry. If nothing happens, bubble-wise, I'll move the primary upstairs for a day or so.

I checked the primary this morning. It was about 45F outside but still really close to 60F in the basement (58F or so, according to the small food therm I had on top of the plastic lid to my Snazzy fermenter).
It was bubbling away nicely. I know you were all worried, but it looks to be ok now.

I isn't worried.

May benefit from a sleeping bag.
If it doesn't stall then cooler can be better if you want a clean tasting brew.
Warmer can had a cloves and banana flavour.

You can get the fermenter up off the basement floor for starters. I know I can get an additional 2F by putting it up on a milk crate. Fermenting at the low end will get you closer to the lagered flavor of an Oktfest though it's still not as ideal as using a true lager yeast. The downside is that your ferment might stall at some point. If it does, and you're not at your expected gravity, warm it up to about 65F.

Back