Fermentation temps on ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If that is the ambient room temperature, then yes. As the beer ferments, fermentation produces heat and the temperature inside rises above ambient temperature. Most ales are best at 65-70 degrees (beer temperature, not ambient temperature!) depending on yeast strain.

A room around 60F is great if you have one. Otherwise try a swamp cooler which simply means placing your carboy fermenter into a pail of cool water and regulating the temp of the water with cool running water or ice.

B

My ambient is 67F. Just putting the carboy into a container and filling half way up the side, I can maintain 63 with almost no effort. Swapping out miniature 10 oz frozen water bottles, I can drop below 60.
Once I learned this, there is almost no excuse to ferment that high unless i really want to, which is never so far.

My ambient is 67F. Just putting the carboy into a container and filling half way up the side, I can maintain 63 with almost no effort. Swapping out miniature 10 oz frozen water bottles, I can drop below 60.
Once I learned this, there is almost no excuse to ferment that high unless i really want to, which is never so far.

i've noticed pretty much the same thing. keep the house at 67-68, and the swamp coolers stay around 62-63 with no effort. water bottles and i can ferment pretty much any ale or lager. :mug:
check out this write up i did on fermenting ales nice and cool this way. here is how i control temps. really cheap and simple, and it works amazingly well.

I agree with the swamp cooler, they are a great way to go and would be PERFECT in a situation like OP's... That being said, there are a few yeasts that do fine at the temps you mention, Wyeast 1332, 1010 and 1335 come to mind... if you look through the options, you can find a few yeasts that have temp ranges into the mid 70s

Back