Fermentation Temps After 2 Weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xinunix

Reaction score
I have a chest freezer that I use to control fermentation temps, by far the best investment I have made (though my kegging equipment is definitely a close second). However my chest freezer is only capable of holding one bucket at a time (rookie mistake in purchasing the chest freezer but upgrading to something bigger isn't an option right now).

My goal is to get a steady pipeline going now that I have a few extra kegs for storage. I don't use a secondary for most of my ales, I typically do 3-4 weeks in the primary and then to the keg.

My question is after the first 2 weeks of fermentation under controlled temps can I move the fermenter out of the temp controlled area for the final 2 weeks? Ambient temp in my house this time of year is between 68 and 70. If I can do this with no ill effects then it would allow me to get a true pipeline going. Otherwise it is largely a serialized process.

Thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated!

I would think you should be okay after 2 weeks of fermenting. By that time, the most vigorous and heat generating part of the process should be over. I would use a water bath for anything you pull out of the freezer. That way its a little more protected against any rapid temperature swings that may occur or from any additional heat produced. Things like, SWMBO decides to crank the heat, or the heat goes out, stuff like that. For the cost of a water bath, its well worth the 'insurance' IMO

How much of a difference would it make if I waited until after week 3 to move it out of the chest freezer? I know you can transfer and condition at room temps so I figure there has to be some point at which the temps become less relevant. I don't want to compromise or risk the benefit I get from controlling fermentation temps in the first place b/c as I said earlier it is clearly the best thing that has happened to my beer. I just thought that since I was doing long primaries maybe there was a point where moving it to a place with a higher ambient temp wouldn't really have an impact on the process but would allow the yeast to still have the time to clean up, etc which is the point of the longer primary as I understand it.

If active fermentation is complete or near complete, your ambient temps are fine to leave it at til you're ready to bottle/keg. many people raise their brews to those temps towards the end of fermentation to ensure complete attenuation

I agree with the above posts, once fermentation is done you would probably be fine to move to room temperature so you can keep your line rolling. Great topic and questions.

I also agree. Once fermentation is done you can move it to ambient temps and it will actually, at least theoretically, clean up quicker.

Normally your flavor profile is set withing 3 to 4 days as the active phase of the ferment is going on. Once the beer settles down, you can raise the temperature and let the yeast finish the cleanup. I like to start mine between 60 and 65 degrees for about a week and then let it warm to 72 for the next 2 before I get anxious and bottle it.

Back