Fermentation Temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT's AZ Ale Haus

Reaction score
I am on day 4 of my first brew fermentation.
I have my fermenter in an insulated tub and I've been swapping out 16 oz ice bottles daily.
I just checked my fermentation temperature and it's at 55° I'm getting bubbles out of my airlock but I'm afraid my fermentation temp is too low.
I know I'm supposed to keep my temperature stable, should I raise it to the 66° that I was targeting or will it ferment at 55°?

My yeast is WL-001

White Labs states optimum fermentation range between 68 and 73F: https://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-bank/wlp001-california-ale-yeast

Even if it ferments at 55F, it will take more days to finish. It could also produce some sulfur due to the colder temp.

But why do you expect to get from fermenting so low?

You should definitely warm it up now after 4 days in order for it to finish and clean after itself at some point.

White Labs states optimum fermentation range between 68 and 73F: https://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-bank/wlp001-california-ale-yeast

Even if it ferments at 55F, it will take more days to finish. It could also produce some sulfur due to the colder temp.

But why do you expect to get from fermenting so low?

You should definitely warm it up now after 4 days in order for it to finish and clean after itself at some point.
It was not my intention to get my temp that low, rookie mistake.

You do want to be fermenting a bit warmer. 55 is quite a bit too low for this yeast.

The good news is that heating is easier than cooling. I highly recommend a temp controller (STC-1000 or Inkbird or similar) plus some sort of heating device. Heat belt works well. For a very cheap ($10) alternative, get an aquarium heater with thermostat and you put your fermentor in a tub of water. This way, if you add too much ice the temp controller will bring it back up to 66f again.

I am swapping out 8 frozen bottles, twice a day.

I am going to adjust to 4 bottles once a day and really keep tabs on the temp from here on out

I am on day 4 of my first brew fermentation.
I have my fermenter in an insulated tub and I've been swapping out 16 oz ice bottles daily.
I just checked my fermentation temperature and it's at 55° I'm getting bubbles out of my airlock but I'm afraid my fermentation temp is too low.
I know I'm supposed to keep my temperature stable, should I raise it to the 66° that I was targeting or will it ferment at 55°?

My yeast is WL-001

I would also do a diacetyl rest. Normally you would only have to do it with lagers but since you had a low temp it would only benefit you.

That settles it, I'm going to stop using the closet next to the hot water heater for my fermenter. ;)

I wonder if there's a sweet spot where the temperature is good for fermenting and for aging cheese?

Back