Fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottm1

Reaction score
Hi I have a autumn red ale in the primary and the room temp went to 80 today so my wort temp jumped as well for about 16 hours, I moved the fermenter to my basement and now it's sitting at a temp of 68. The thermometer on the the bucket says it's at 78. I'm wondering if I hurt the ale any by having it jump that high in temp?

Well It didn't help probably. How many days has it fermented. If you can put it in a bucket of cool water and throw a towel over it and make sure the towel is wet.

the first 3 or 4 days are the most important. the beer will probably be ok just not as good as you want.:)

Thanks I'm putting it in a tub of cold water now to help it come down the temp on the bucket has dropped to 76 now.

Looks like it's dropping faster than I would have guessed its down to 74 now. Should I still put it in cold water and wrap it?

try for the 65 to 68 range. Here in southern Cal it can be a challenge to do that cheaply. I use a Cooler that fit the Carboy and water I adjust the temp with ice or frozen water bottles.:D

Ok I'll will set it in cold water and wrap it to help it along. Thanks for all your help. By the way I'm converting a old small chest freezer to a fermentation chamber this week. Any thoughts if it will work?

That yeast will be more forgiving than other yeasts. You should be alright. You might have some fusel alcohols but since you got the temps back down you will be ok.

All is well. I've had something similar to this happen to me before. In the end the beer was still good. Don't allow it to weigh to heavy on your mind. Crap happens. I'm just glad you wasn't using Nottingham. That yeast would have punished you for your mistake.

Update: my temp has dropped to 68. But now the air lock has slowed down to bubbling once every 15 seconds. Should I be worried it will stall?

Update: my temp has dropped to 68. But now the air lock has slowed down to bubbling once every 15 seconds. Should I be worried it will stall?

It may stop completely, and that's still ok....Fermentation can be active without airlock activity........

Back