Fermentation temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpinachio

Reaction score
Hey guys! I plan on brewing my first lager soon, need a little help. I will be using the mexican lager yeast White Labs 940. What temp do I pitch the yeast at,room temp or do I wait till I get it down to my fermentation temp?Any help would be great!

I have never used that particular yeast, but the big mistake first time lager makers do is under estimate the size of the starter they need. I made this mistake and lost a double decoction AG to lousy fermentation.

It's good you ask first. What I do is make a stir starter, then step it up and have the step up at my primary temps and pitch onto that at the temp I plan to ferment at.

I think you get better results with pitching cold. I like to pitch the yeast just slightly under fermentation temperatures, and allow it to rise to the desired temperature. Usually, this involves taking the yeast starter out of the fridge while I"m chilling the wort and pitching the yeast at about 48 degrees into 50 degree wort, and allowing it to rise to 51-52 degrees (depending on yeast strain).

Remember that when making a lager you need a HUGE starter, especially when cold pitching!

I think you get better results with pitching cold. I like to pitch the yeast just slightly under fermentation temperatures, and allow it to rise to the desired temperature. Usually, this involves taking the yeast starter out of the fridge while I"m chilling the wort and pitching the yeast at about 48 degrees into 50 degree wort, and allowing it to rise to 51-52 degrees (depending on yeast strain).

Remember that when making a lager you need a HUGE starter, especially when cold pitching!

Do as Yooper says. I've been fermenting my lagers as Yooper has said in the past, except I pitch at ferment temps and they all come out great, at the proper FG with no diacytal.

Do as Yooper says.

Can you talk to my husband for me? :cross:

Seriously, I don't do a ton of lagers as my preferred style is IPA/APA but I do several a year and I found that pitching cold with a big stater gives the best results for me.

The only reason to pitch warm and lower the temperature is to compensate for underpitching yeast. That works, but of course there is a risk of off-flavors due to the warm temperatures. Preventing the off-flavors (like esters and diacetyl) in the first place is what has always worked for me.

I do the same... pitch cold with a huge starter and let warm on its own to fermentation temps. My regimen is usually pitch at 48F and let it warm to as high as 52F on its own and hold it there. I generally stop the temp at 50F if I see a krausen forming but occasionally I have to let it go a tad higher.

I do the same... pitch cold with a huge starter and let warm on its own to fermentation temps. My regimen is usually pitch at 48F and let it warm to as high as 52F on its own and hold it there. I generally stop the temp at 50F if I see a krausen forming but occasionally I have to let it go a tad higher.

+1 This is pretty much exactly the method I use for my lagers. Failure to sufficiently cool the wort prior to pitching a lager yeast is a major error. You may never get it cooled down in time if it goes volcanic or partially so. I prefer a slow, steady ferment at the low end of the suggested temperature range and often a couple of degrees below that. The key is knowing what the wort temperature actually is; not just what you think it may be. There is often a significant difference between the two.

Back