Fermentation temp orrr??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lind13

Reaction score
Used my comical for the first time a little over a week ago. 7.4 gal and Put in about 5.75 gal. Pitched a starter of 2nd gen white labs dry English ale, barely in airlock activity (I knew there wouldn't be because of head space left) pitched at about 68 degrees and it's now been about 8 days. It was at 1.061 og now at 1.034. No airlock activity. Gave it some yeast energizer and shook it. The temp is at a steady 58 is it likely that I dropped all of the yeast out of suspension? What should bet next steps? Thanks in advance guys and gals!

Website says to ferment it at 65-70. At 58, it may be sleeping. If possible, slowly warm it back up to that range, then rouse yeast again. That may do the trick

I use this yeast a lot. It's happy down to about 62-63, but because it flocculates so easily and quickly any lower and it goes to sleep.

A. Warm the wort to 65-68
B. the rouse the yeast back into suspension. They should get back to work

Do it in that order. WLP007 flocs out so fast if you rouse the yeast first it'll drop back out before the wort warms up.

Crap i have no way of warming it up. . . Guess i may have to go look for a brewbelt : (

You only need three things,

a timer
a cardboard box big enough to fit the fermenter in
a incandescent light

The reason incandescent light are now a no no for green people is 90% of their energy goes to making heat instead of light. So put the light and the carboy in the box and set the time to go on for a few minutes every hr and you will heat is up a few degrees. The box will act as a cheap form of insulation.

Clem

That is an innovative idea Clem, i would have gone to that but luckily a friend of mine wasnt using his brewbelt : ) just tossed it on about 45 mins ago and its already up to 62, hopefully it levels out around 68-70 at the most! Then im going to shake that bad boy to rouse up the yeasties

That is an innovative idea Clem, i would have gone to that but luckily a friend of mine wasnt using his brewbelt : ) just tossed it on about 45 mins ago and its already up to 62, hopefully it levels out around 68-70 at the most! Then im going to shake that bad boy to rouse up the yeasties

Gently swirl, do no shake. Shaking could introduce oxygen, which you don't want to do.

Back