Fermentation temp issue??- green pepper off flavor in sour saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlutter

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently brewed a tart cherry saison using the quick sour method- cofermentation of Belle Saison and a carton of Goodbelly.

I started fermentation in the mid 60's for 5 days, ramped it up to the mid-70's to finish for 3 days, then I dry hopped for a week with 1 oz El Dorado. The beer fermented well and soured nicely with cherry aroma but has a distinct green pepper flavor on the finish.

Is this a Belle Saison characteristic that I created with my fermentation temp schedule? Should I have just let it ferment hot for the duration? Its my first time using this yeast.

I'm not sure about El Dorado, but some people get green pepper from certain hops. Going on my memory, which is always touch and go, I've heard that Equinox hops have notes of green pepper. I don't think I've ever got it from Belle Saison.

Thanks. I'll look into that hop a bit. I know that the Belle Saison flavor chart shows pepper as a major flavor but the description doesn't elaborate on what kind

Saison yeast (Belle included) I think black pepper/peppercorn. Green pepper/jalapeno is often something I see in coffee beers and periodically beers with roasted malts but no coffee (pyrazine compounds formed during roasting). Wonder if it couldn't be DMS you're perceiving. I've never had Goodbelly kick off DMS but it's not unheard of for wild yeast/bacteria to do so.

Latest posts

Back