Fermentation temp and yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLAY_DEAD

Reaction score
I'm brewing a double ipa with wyeast and the package says 65-72 degrees. I brewed last Friday and was fermenting on Saturday when I woke up (today is Wednesday btw). I'm sitting at 64 degrees (per the fermomentor). It seems to be fermenting just fine, still have a very active blow off, I've yet to check gravity. I've also got a HUGE head of krausen.

My question is about temperatures. I've heard of people raising temps after the first week or so. Should I be concerned that I'm not in the "ideal" range? Or should I just keep it as it is since I seem to be getting a good fermentation? I've read that temp control can turn good beer into great beer. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

you're good to go I would say better to be a bit cold then way too hot :)

Amen. 64*F is a pretty darn ideal temp for fermenting with many strains of ale yeast that one would use in an IPA.

If you can bump it up toward 68-70*F and maintain it there after the first 4-5 days, that will give the yeast a better chance at cleaning up their by-products.

Right on. Thanks! I'll keep it at 64. I'll have to see if I can get it up around 68 after this weekend. I plan on leaving it in primary 2-3 weeks (depending on gravity). Then I'll dry hop in secondary with 2 oz of whole leaf cascade for 7-10 days. Sound good to y'all?

you can dry hop right in the primary after fermentation is done, 3 to 5 days works well

I just dry hop in the keg when I rack it to keg

all the best

S_M

This^^^^^^^^^^. No need to secondary for dry hopping. I'd go 3-4 days with Cascade unless you like a strong grassy flavor.

Cool. Thanks guys. No need for secondary? I've heard that before. Just want sure if it would help with clarity. And 3-5 days is all I need? Then I'm def gonna give it three weeks or so before dry hopping to let it clear up.

The recipe I'm using came with whole leaf hops...do they tend to give more of a grassy flavor than pellet?

do you use whole hops or pellet hops?
never had any issues dry hopping with pellet hops

I've previously gotten a distinct grassy note with Cascade pellets dry hopped for 5 days. Haven't tried whole.

I'm going to take a gravity reading tonight and if all's well, I'm going to cram some muslin bags filled with hops (and a few marbles, sanitized of course) into my primary for dry hopping. I figure by dry hopping in my primary, I'll have less risk of leaving some beer behind during transfer and also less risk of oxidation.

Back