fermentation temp and time experiment, sorta

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So few weeks back i had planned to keg my neipa, i do closed transfers from my cf15. i use a glycol chiller and had dry hopped it about 3 days prior at about 60degrees then turned my chiller on. i had planned it so that i would keg the batch on a friday that i had off work because i was leaving saturday for a week long stay in OBX. well that thursday we had a nasty storm come through and took out the power lines by my house, to paint the picture a little, i live on 12 acres on the side of a mountain in central pa on a no outlet road. so when the power goes out we arent exactly on the priority list. So i was scheduled to leave at 4am for OBX on saturday and by friday afternoon the power was still off so not only was kegging not going to happen but my fermenter was warming up to basement temp, this time of year around 60. great! haha. so time to stop worrying about that and start packing. i got home from our trip (which was excellent) and power was restored, so i turn the chiller back on and kegged it the following day. this has now been 2 weeks in the kegerator and naturally i have been pouring a glass to taste daily to see how it is progressing. basically the end result is still a good beer, had some hop burn and some flavors from the dry hops being in for an extra week and it sits at about 7.4 abv. overall still happy but definitely an unfortunate event which if there is one good take from it, it proved my thoughts about dry hopping longer then 3 days for this style of beer. i have made this recipe a few times with minor adjustments and the this was my first time using A24. i think i will need to use it again to get a real feel for what its like. side note, i have lived here for 10 years and we have rarely had the power go out for any extended amount of time but needless to say i now own a generator that will run most everything in my house to avoid another issue like this. sorry for the long post just thought i would share my story.
Cheers!

Back