Fermentation temp after it’s done.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Figgy15

Reaction score
Hello all. I Need help. I made a dunkleweizen that finished fermenting a few days ago. I’ve had it sitting in carboy for at least another week. Checked it today and the temp showing on the temp sticker was at 86F! Seems My temp controlled freezer stopped working and the heating fan was on. Has it been ruined???

Only tasting will tell and time may fix it. I recently discovered my temp sensor was off by 15F, meaning I was fermenting in the 80'sF. You may be just fine depending on when your temp control stopped working, if you got any amount of control early on that should help a bit. You are likely to get some more esters but as long as you don't get fusel alcohols the high temp shouldn't kill your beer. I've never made a dunkleweizen but I would think that style could handle extra esters more than others anyway. Taste it, if it taste fine you are good to go, if you have a slight banana or bubblegum flavor you've got a bit more esters in the beer than planned, which may be just fine, if it taste solvent like you may have a lot of esters. Either way if you don't like it let it sit for a while, though it may be a long time if it is solvent like.

Back