Fermentation restart in secondary= bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j2brew

Reaction score
I've been fermenting an oatmeal stout for 3 weeks in my only primary. I got the brewing itch on Friday, so I racked it to a 5 gal. better bottle to free up my primary, figuring it could sit in the secondary for a few days until I had time to bottle it. I noticed an awful lot of sediment as I siphoned it off, though I tried to avoid it. Anyways, I was going to bottle today, but I noticed that the sanitizer in the airlock had moved all to one side, as if CO2 is pushing it. I reset the airlock so both sides were level, and sure enough, a few hours later, it has moved all to one side again.

1. Does this mean that stirring it up caused the yeast to restart fermentation?
2. If I bottle tonight, am I risking bottle bombs?
3. I'm going on vacation on Thursday, will be out of town for a week, and won't have time to bottle besides tonight. So, would you let it sit in a secondary with minimal temp control (swamp cooler) for two weeks, or bottle it today?

Any advice is appreciated!

PS-- I did use my hydrometer, but I'm not very good with it yet. I thought I had hit my target, but now I'm not sure...:eek:

What is your final and original gravity readings? If its above 1.015 then you should probably wait. Some high gravity beers will have a high FG but that is usually limeted to the barley wine range

You may have restarted fermentation, but my bet is that that's just some CO2 coming out of the solution; not actual fermentation. Really check the FG on that and see.

Also, leaving it in the secondary with minimal temp control should be fine. All, or nearly all, of the fermentation is complete. The beer getting slightly warm for a bit isn't going to hurt anything at this stage.

+1 on checking with the hydrometer again. If it read the same as it did when you transferred it, you're golden.

Even when going with a long primary on every batch, I still like to secondary for a week or so after that. Mainly, because I can be clumsy with my siphoning and I like having a week for the little bit of yeast I pick up to settle back out before I bottle. I get really clear beer that way.

Thanks everybody, took another reading, it looks good. Managed to free up some time so I'll bottle it up tonight. I can't believe how much sediment has settled out in just a few days!

Back