fermentation range - where should I be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katy_bug

Reaction score
1st real batch of homebrew brewed Saturday. We started with Midwest Hop Head Double IPA. It came with dried yeast - Safale US-05. The fermentation range is 58-75 degrees.

I also have a keezer with a temp regulator and probe that goes down inside the carboy. It is set on 70 degrees but after reading some here I am thinking I should bump it down. It has been fermenting for about 24 hours now at 70 degrees. What are your thoughts?

Is the keezer at 70 or is the beer at 70?

Due to the active chemical reactions, the temp of fermenting beer can get as high as 8 degrees ABOVE the air temp in the keezer!

I didn't realize this until my last couple batches and now I keep my fermentation chamber at 60F for the first 4-5 days and then gradually increase it to 65-67F for the last 2 weeks of primary fermentation. This keeps the actual beer at a steady 64-67F for the duration of my 21 day fermentations. The lower end of the yeast range will result in less off-flavors in the beer.

The beer as at 70. Our carboy has a thermowell that holds the temperature probe in the middle of the beer.

I just bumped it down to 64.

I use us-05 fairly regularly and I find at the lower end of the temps 65ish you will get kinda a apricoty peachy flavor to it. I found this out the hard way Yooper actually set me straight on the temps. for a really clean ferment go about 68 or so. higher than that you will get alot more different esters in the 70+ range. Depending on what flavors you want in your product any of the temp ranges can compliment the final beer.

Our temp regulator has a 2 degree threshold on the switch so I just bumped it to 66. That way it will stay between 66-68.

I actually like an apricot flavor in an IPA. We shall see . . .

Back