Fermentation Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RexlerLepp

Reaction score
I just brewed my first brew on Thursday and felt things went really. Now I am sitting back watching the bubbles and reading posts here and it has lead me to a couple of questions.

I keep reading about how important controlling the temp during the fermentation is, but I just have the carboy in a closet with little to no idea what the temp is.

I am not too worried about the temp because it is bubbling away nicely just curious about its impact. I am also interested about how long I can expect the bubbling to last. Thanks.

Low fermentation temps produce cleaner beers as they inhibit ester production in the yeast. They also result in slower fermentations. High temps will increase ester production (may be desirable in some styles) and result in quicker fermentations.

As to how long the bubbling will last, that is dependent on too many factors to give you a definite answer (temperature, seal quality, CO2 in solution, etc.). The only way to know that fermentation is complete is to take a gravity sample.

IF you want an idea of the temps while fermenting you should grab one of those sticky thermometers and put it on the side of your fermenter. They are pretty accurate and it will allow you to know/control the temps of your ferment.

Thanks for the tips. I have seen those stick on thermometers, so I think I will pick one up before I brew my next batch.

Back