Fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theNOOB

Reaction score
So, I put my own kit together and I am following a basic recipe which says I can have a 14 day primary with a 10 day aging period in the bottles. I altered the recipe a little by using all malt extract rather than cutting it with a little corn sugar. I've noticed that a lot of people on here believe that longer aging is necessary for a quality brew. Am I crazy to think this batch will be done in the timeframe I mentioned?

Thanks

Crazy? No. Misguided? Yes.

Ten days is not enough for bottle conditioning. Although, in spirit of full disclosure, I always try a bottle that early, just to see how it's doing. But three weeks seems to be about the minimum for adequate conditioning.

Also, don't shoehorn your beer into a timetable for the primary. It will be done when it's done, and not sooner. Don't rush it!

Cheers!

You can use your hydrometer to determine when your beer is done fermenting. If you get consistent readings for 3 days in a row then the beer is done. The general rule on bottle conditioning is a minimum of 2 or 3 weeks.

Any tips on the most efficient way of extracting samples from a carboy with the tiny opening and all? Thanks for the advice so far!

Back