Fermentation Question/Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdfmorais

Reaction score
Hi,

For the first time I've brewed a beer (lager), 2 days ago. All went reasonably well and the beer has been fermenting for the last two days. The airlock has been bubbling slowly but steadily and the temperature has been varying from 5º to 10º Celsius. The problem is that there are some white things on the top of the beer witch I don’t know if it is normal. There's a picture of it attached.

Can anyone explain what's happening to my beer?

Thanks in advance...

Pedro

20150601_162611_1.jpg

I havent done a lager yet, but oftentimes I get that look after pitching and before the yeast start really working. A big floating fuzzball.

Nothing abnormal for me, but I can't guarantee yours, especially if using lager yeast, as I'm unfamiliar.

What temp and strain is it? 5-10*C swings are pretty big, especially for lager strains.

The yeast is BROULAND Brewferm Lager and the target temperatures are between 12º and 15º Celsius. But given that fermentation is an exothermic process, I've figured that I should lower the temps a bit to get them around that target inside the fermentation vessel. The variations are due to the fact that this is fermenting inside the kitchen's refrigerator and the temperature controller is not very accurate.

Latest posts

Back