Fermentation Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smuth10

Reaction score
I brewed a mild a couple weeks back with Nottingham dry yeast and wasn't paying attention to the temps in my basement at the time. It got down to 61 and I noticed the beer stopped fermenting a little quick. the starting gravity was 1.038 and it is stuck at 1.020. Still way too sweet. I moved it upstairs where it is 68 degrees and lightly stirred it to get it going again. This didn't work so I went up the LHBS and bought another pack of Notty and pitched it in and stirred it really well. Still nothing.

Is it possible something else is going on preventing it from fermenting out. I know there is still sugar left in there. It should have stopped around 1.012. Any help would be much appreciated.

was this an all grain batch or extract? If all grain, what was your mash schedule and water profile? Just wondering how much fermentable sugar you have left.

Just like Sarrsipius mentioned, I suspect no fermentable sugars left in your beer. If you mashed a little high (even without knowing) your fermentables are going to be lower and you will have a little sweeter beer. I had this problem with a milk stout, but it turned out fine. I had the same problem with an IIPA, so I boiled up some DME and added it later and shook it up to get the yeast moving a bit. It worked out okay. In fact, it was one of my better batches so far.

Sorry, I should have included that in the original post.

Reaper's Mild from HBT 2011 Competition
All Grain, HERMS system
Temps were spot on at 158 and PH was 5.4
Water was 10gal all RO with 2tsp Calcium Chloride, 2tsp Gypsum & 4oz Acidulated Malt

I know the mash temps are high with this beer and that is part of the reason the OG is 1.038, but 2.1% ABV is crazy low. I am just worried it is going to be too sweet and give people a headache. At this point I think you guys are right though. There must not be any fermentables left and rather than throw it out I guess I will keg it and see how it tastes in a few days.

With your mash temp being that high you would end up with a larger percentage of unfermentable sugar. you could try using some champeign yeast. If you do a search you will find several posts on using it to restart stuck ferments but with your mash temp that high there is the possibility that there is no more fermentable sugar left.

That is what his recipe called for. He said his fermented down to 1.012 with the same recipe. I am wondering if there is something else I am doing that is adding to my problem other than the high mash temp.

Anyway, I will try the champagne yeast, thank you. If that doesn't work I am not sure I will keep it. If I try a lower mash temp next time do you think it will change the flavor of the beer at all. I guess I could step the amount of grain down a little to keep the OG in line.

Thanks for you help!

Don't dump it until you've tasted it. And then, if you don't like it, wait a month, taste again, repeat.

Unless it's spoiled it may turn out tasting great. After tasting it, then make changes in the next batch to adjust based on what you learned in this batch.

Changing the mash temp will change the wort which will change the fermentation which will change the final beer. Whether or not you call it a change in flavor, mouth feel, perception, etc is a matter for you to decide.

also, silly question, did you check to see if your hydrometer is calibrated?

I have not, but I'm fixin to do so right now.

I am going to shoot up to the LHBS today and pickup some Champagne yeast and maybe add some yeast nutrient in there as well. I will post back with results. Thanks again...

Just tested my hydrometer and it is reading high at 1.002. The beer is even worse than I thought. Fantastic

Looks like that recipe you have is for a session beer. The OG was listed at 1.035 and finish at 1.012, which should only be in the ~3 ABV to start with. So you're not really crazy low at 2.4 ABV. Maybe just different than expected?

Back