Fermentation Minifridge Cycling On/Off every few minutes. Ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirgeoph

Reaction score
Anyone here know a thing or two about fridge repair? Got a minifridge for my fermentation chamber that comes on for like 3 seconds then audibly clicks off and repeats about 5 minutes later.

I'm pretty convinced it's not the compressor as I've tested the connections with a meter -- no ground shorts and the ohms don't shoot up to infinity.

I thought it may be the temperature module, so I disconnected that and bypassed it (I have an external temperature controller like most of you do, so bypassing the internal one is no biggie). When I did this, the fridge powered on and cooled just fine. This was last night and this morning it's back to being on for 3 or 4 seconds, then audibly CLICK!-ing off and cycling that over and over.

My guess is either the start relay or the overload protection circuit. I'm not sure it's the start relay (it's a solid state PTC "relay") as it is one piece (not rattling) and when tested for continuity, it's got near-0 resistance as it should when no current passing through it.

Seriously don't want to buy a new fridge. Luckily the weather is in the low 60s here now, so it's not life-or death for my coffee porter, yet. Any ideas?

Never mind -- turns out, it wasn't the fridge. One of the SSRs connected to my temp controller went bad and for whatever reason that was forcing the compresser to overload. Changed out the relay and everything's back to how it should be.

Back