Fermentation issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raclark69

Reaction score
Been brewing for a few years now and rarely have a problem with fermentation but this time I’m puzzled.

Brew day 06/30
Kolsch Extract kit
Safale US-05 Ale Yeast
No issues during boil
Cool down to 90
Add 2.5 gals spring water
Cool down to 68 degrees (too far?)
Tilt records 1.023 and 66 degrees
30 minutes later pitched yeast 1.024 and 66 degrees
Placed in my closet that’s normally cool but hot summer temps reached 74
Seeing no yeast activity (Tilt shows OG increase)
07/02 wrapped with towel and placed in water bin
Cool down to 70 degrees
Today I added ice to the bin to cool down further
It’s at 67 right now

Fermentation vessel is a bucket so nothing visible, relying on Tit and bung

Was it too warm during fermentation?
Did fermentation happen?
Should I pitch new yeast?

IMG_1620.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like it's probably about ready to package. Take a hydrometer reading to be sure it's near predicted FG.
Definitely don't pitch more yeast.

Some observations:
  • You didn't adequately mix the spring water with the wort; that's why you saw a gradual s.g. increase initially.
  • Subsequently, you won't know the actual OG unless you calculate it from the amount of extract added to your batch volume.
  • TILT readings are good for seeing trends, but not very accurate. Use a real hydrometer for an accurate reading.
  • US-05 seems like not a great yeast to use for a "Kölsch", but it'll still make a fine beer.
  • I prefer to ferment on the low end of the range for most yeast. Higher temps often cause undesirable flavors.
  • You want it cool to start and then gradually increase temperature, not the other way around. Hot start and cool finish increases risk of off-flavors and poor attenuation.
Hope this helps. Cheers

Yes, with extract more than likely the wort and top up water were not fully mixed, then as fermentation stirred up the wort the OG rose as the water mixed with the wort. Your temperatures were not to high. I ferment US-05 at 66 degrees.

Starting cool prevents unwanted flavors produced by warmer temperatures during the start of fermentation. Raising the temperature at the end helps insure that the yeast finish the job. The off flavors from too warm are generally produced at the beginning and not so much at the end.

Looks like it's probably about ready to package. Take a hydrometer reading to be sure it's near predicted FG.
Definitely don't pitch more yeast.

Some observations:
  • You didn't adequately mix the spring water with the wort; that's why you saw a gradual s.g. increase initially.
  • Subsequently, you won't know the actual OG unless you calculate it from the amount of extract added to your batch volume.
  • TILT readings are good for seeing trends, but not very accurate. Use a real hydrometer for an accurate reading.
  • US-05 seems like not a great yeast to use for a "Kölsch", but it'll still make a fine beer.
  • I prefer to ferment on the low end of the range for most yeast. Higher temps often cause undesirable flavors.
  • You want it cool to start and then gradually increase temperature, not the other way around. Hot start and cool finish increases risk of off-flavors and poor attenuation.
Hope this helps. Cheers

Thanks RPh_Guy. This does help.

I would agree with your observation about not mixing the spring water. I sometimes rely on the mixing as I transfer the wort so I will mix better going forward.

Sounds like I am ok but what may not be clear from my description is that I didn’t see the normal bubbles in the airlock from the fermentation. This is what’s really throwing me off. Is it possible to have fermentation without bubbles?

You might have talked me into my next brewing hardware purchase. I’m looking at a real hydrometer next.

Cheers!

Yes, with extract more than likely the wort and top up water were not fully mixed, then as fermentation stirred up the wort the OG rose as the water mixed with the wort. Your temperatures were not to high. I ferment US-05 at 66 degrees.

Starting cool prevents unwanted flavors produced by warmer temperatures during the start of fermentation. Raising the temperature at the end helps insure that the yeast finish the job. The off flavors from too warm are generally produced at the beginning and not so much at the end.

Thanks kh54s10.

I’m crossing my fingers and hoping I avoided the off flavors.

Buckets are notorious for leaking, so there may be CO2 escaping from somewhere other than the airlock, resulting in lack of bubbles.
The airlock activity is generally not a good indication of fermentation activity.

Buckets are notorious for leaking, so there may be CO2 escaping from somewhere other than the airlock, resulting in lack of bubbles.
The airlock activity is generally not a good indication of fermentation activity.

Well that’s good to know.

BTW your profile says Cleveland. I grew up in Euclid, living in Indy now.

Wondering why US-05 was provided for a "kolsch" considering most of the character in a true kolsch comes from the yeast...

Cheers!

Seems like you are flying blind, relying on that device too much. Fancy graph, for sure, ...anyway, maybe brew some beers analog so you know how to make them work..

Then the device will be a labor saving tool, in theory.

Half the fun of brewing for me is checking in on progress of various batches, non digitally.

IMO, the Tilt is a tool that is pretty much just a frill. You don't need to know what is happening every hour..... Pitch the yeast, wait 10 - 14 days, take a gravity reading and then depending on the reading and your procedures you might be able to bottle or keg it without all the measurements.

Well that’s good to know.

BTW your profile says Cleveland. I grew up in Euclid, living in Indy now.
Cool, I lived in Euclid as a child many years ago. I'm a west sider now.
Indianapolis is very nice; I've been there a couple times.

Anyway ... I use clear fermention vessels (Fermonsters mainly), so I can actually see when fermentation is finishing and that's the cue to take gravity readings.

Wondering why US-05 was provided for a "kolsch" considering most of the character in a true kolsch comes from the yeast...
I guess the kit maker understands folks buying the kits probably don't have adequate temperature control for such sensitive yeast strains, or ability/knowledge to make yeast starters.

Back