Fermentation inhibiting preservatives??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmystank

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what preservatives will inhibit fermentation? Gettin ready to make some cider and I wanna make sure that I don't get concentrate cans that will be no good.

Pretty sure any preservatives except ascorbic acid (vitamin C) will inhibit yeast. I've had good luck with the gallon jugs of juice that are pasteurized, with no additives. Never tried frozen, though.

potassium Sorbate...just used some in a fruit beer...added the required amount to the keg and poored in the fruit puree in and racked on top of all that...no fermentation! worked great

EDIT: whoops I misread your post...yea, same difference anything with potassium sorbate in it will stop the yeast from fermenting.

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm using it in the initial fermentation so I definitely don't want potassium sorbate.

Stay away from sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate. Those are the most common ones you'll see, and you definitely don't want those if you're planning on fermenting!

Thanks everyone, I just went with some concentrate that only has ascorbic acid and citric acid in maybe two of the flavors I used. Hope it all works out. I haven't been on here for a long time; not that I haven't been brewing, I just don't sit in front of a computer all day anymore. Anyways, just wanted to say that I forgot how great this community was, with the quick responses, polite people and helpful knowledge and all. Good to see you're still as helpful as ever yoop. Thanks again!!

Anyways, just wanted to say that I forgot how great this community was, with the quick responses, polite people and helpful knowledge and all. Good to see you're still as helpful as ever yoop. Thanks again!!

I would never call myself "polite" but I do try to be helpful.

Back