fermentation help! Stuck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rival178

Reaction score
I brewed a hefeweizen with weihenstephan Wyeast 3068. The first 18 or so hours the fermentation was going like crazy had to use a blow off tube, also smelled of sulfur which I believe is normal. I get home from work and NO BUBBLES. There is still quite a bit of movement in the carboy but no bubbles coming through airlock.

Any help?

Is this stuck? normal for hefe and weihenstepan wyeast 3068?

You are fine. Take a gravity reading after a week and bottle when it's a stable reading over three days and the beer has cleared. Weizen yeasts tend to work fast, and even faster if the fermenter isn't being cooled

should I give it a small shake to maybe get bubbles again? Like I said I see lots of movement in the carboy, simply no bubbles.

rival178 said:
should I give it a small shake to maybe get bubbles again? Like I said I see lots of movement in the carboy, simply no bubbles.

You are fine. Shake it if it makes you feel better but that churning you are seeing is the yeast actively fermenting. You probably got a leak in your stopper or airlock. Did the krausen blow out of the airlock? If so you may have a clog that you will need to fix.

Airlock did not blow off, I ran a tube into another carboy with Star San. Tons of krausen over there also. I did check the the tube is not clogged and does not seem to have a leak in the airlock.

If you don't take a reading you don't know it's stuck, stop watching bubbles and have a beer;)

Back