Fermentation done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wobblybob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK so I brewed up my IPA on the 5th and my OG was 103.2. Has been in the Anvil fermenter in the kitchen and has been steady at 100.8 for the last four days.

Temperature has been 72° Or 71° for those four days. Am I good to get it in the 5 gallon keg and force carbonate?

Also my system is new I know I need to clean everything and sterilize I do not have a pump the only pump I have is the hand pump with the cleaning kit I got is that going to do it? Thank you so much

ps. I am using a tilt hydrometer

I'm a little confused on your provided numbers, but if I'm reading them right, and if the gravity is stable, it's done. My IPA's typically finish between 1.008 and 1.011, so your (I assume) 1.008 is good. Your OG is very low though for an IPA, it's even low for a session ipa or a pale ale.

As far as a pump, I wouldn't use one cold side. Gravity should work just fine to get it to the keg. I actually made up a hose that adapts from my anvil brew bucket spigot to a liquid keg disconnect to do closed transfers. You could also just use a hose from the ball valve that reaches the bottom of the keg and let her rip (just avoid splashing and purge the headspace on the keg once filled).

Yeah the recipe says the og should have been 105.3 not sure what happened I used a hop spider and I ended up with this half pallet cake that I had to dig out with a spoon in the bottom of that thing and it just really didn’t smell right in the house

my brew kettle literally had just a slight film on the bottom that I wiped off with a paper towel, I don’t think I’m gonna use that spider again what do you think?

Whatever you do with the hops doesn't really impact your OG, so it is something else... Did you use extract or do a mash with grain?

Extract. As soon as I get the batch in the keg I’m going to do the same batch again because I have it here already.

I'm a little confused on your provided numbers, but if I'm reading them right, and if the gravity is stable, it's done. My IPA's typically finish between 1.008 and 1.011, so your (I assume) 1.008 is good. Your OG is very low though for an IPA, it's even low for a session ipa or a pale ale.

As far as a pump, I wouldn't use one cold side. Gravity should work just fine to get it to the keg. I actually made up a hose that adapts from my anvil brew bucket spigot to a liquid keg disconnect to do closed transfers. You could also just use a hose from the ball valve that reaches the bottom of the keg and let her rip (just avoid splashing and purge the headspace on the keg once filled).

I think I have a extra liquid side connector and some hose so just run it from the anvil to the liquid side of the keg and let it rip ?

Was the 1.032 reading a true OG reading (post boil) or preboil? Was your volume into the fermenter correct? Was the wort mixed up thoroughly before the reading (especially if it happened to be preboil)?

It was the tilt dropped in the anvil so it was in the 60s .
oxygen stone stir for 45 seconds.
dry yeast
water added to make 5 gal

i’m sure I’m missing something, but I think that’s it.

I had a plumbing disaster/flood when I was doing this right before it and it just threw me off big time LOL I wrote notes of everything I screwed up which was at least two things so I will watch that carefully when I do this next batch which is the same recipe

If you poured the water in to top up to full volume and then didn't mix thoroughly before taking the reading, I bet that is your culprit.

Back