• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle

Reaction score
I just got a Speidel 60L fermenter to replace my carboys and found that it will not work with my chest freezer. The lid doesn't come up a full 90 degrees so there is no way of taking it in and out full of beer. Trying to see other options. I already have the temp controller.

Looking for either a standard refrigerator with bottom fridge or a custom made one depending on price. Local only please. Willing to make trade for chest freezer also

What stops it from fully opening? Is it the hinges? Can you swap out the hinges for ones that do open fully?

Or does the lid hit the chest? Could you build a small collar that is thinner along the back?

Seems like there ought be some way to bend this freezer to your will!

I've recently moved from what I consider the mecca of brewing (Athens, GA). In Athens I had my pick of 2 - 3 brew shops and any number of experts to rely on for advice, all of which were eager to help. Where I live now only has one shop and the owner treats me like a complete moron and never shuts up about how he won't drink anything that isn't barleywine anymore. Admittedly, I am a novice, only having brewed about 30 gallons of beer so far. But when I walk into an establishment I don't like being patronized and told that I should just stick with the pre-made kits. (Yes, he tells me this every time.)

So since I hate going to the local shop, is there hope for me? Is there anywhere online that can get fresh ingredients to me quickly?

J. J.

If the speidel fits just to difficult to get in and out full, you can fill once already in freezer using bucket (great way to aerate) and do preassure transfer out. I have a 60l speidel with a chest freezer fermentation chamber and this is what I do.

Yeah thanks for the replies. It was just the hinges that made it not fully open. I was thinking about taking them off and just laying the lid with some weight but I ended up buying 2 floor dollys so I can roll the chest freezer to my boil kettle with the fermenter already in there and then pushing it out with co2. Hopefully this works

Back