Fermentation Chamber: Wrapping fermwrap around carboy of water to use as a "heat sink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therainmaker

Reaction score
I have a chest freezer I converted into a fermentation chamber, and I'm trying to determine the best setup for efficient heating when brewing saison. I can fit 5 buckets or carboy in the freezer.

I know a lot of folks attach a fermwrap directly to the freezer wall, but since I typically ferment 20 gallons and have the additional space for another carboy, I was thinking of the following, based on the same theory as using a smoker... Use a large container of water to minimize heat spikes....

4 bucks fermenting,... Fill a carboy with water, and wrap the fermwrap around it. This would, in theory, act as a large heat sink once heated and keep the temp at a more stable set.

My question is, will that be enough heat to push the temp into the 80s in the chest freezer with an ambient temperature of 65, or do you need the direct radiant heat from the wrap to be heating the air, as opposed to a carboy of water that would act as a large heat sink?

In my head it works great... Or maybe this is just a crazy idea. Feel free to weigh in!

Back