Fermentation Chamber or just get a chest freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LepusLucis

Reaction score
Hey, so I wanted to get some opinions on this before I go and make any moves.

So I have the J&J Temp Control as well as an inkbird. I've been scouring craigslist and have seen a few ads for some chest freezers. The best one I've seen is an 8cu. ft. chest freezer for $125.

The only problem is that getting it back home would be a bit of a pain...
I'm currently at school, and while I have a Highlander I'm doubtful that a whole chest freezer could fit in the back, which makes it even less appealing.

Then there is the whole question of "how long with this freezer last?"

Alternatively, I've seen some plans for making your own fermentation chamber.

This is kind of appealing to me because I think I'd be able to fit more fermenters into the chamber than I would in a regular chest freezer. Howrever, I have little to no experience in building stuff.

Anyways, I'd like to see what you guys think would be the best option?

I went with a chest freezer because I didn't want to futz around with making a fermentation chamber that was likely to break at some point. The chest freezer was easy-peasy. And I was able to find much cheaper chest freezers on Craigslist than that. If memory serves, I think I paid $35. It was small, only fit one 6 gal. carboy at a time. But it did the job.

I guess it would depend on how many gallons you might have fermenting at one time.

I originally went with taking a dorm fridg. removing the door, and building a box off of the front. It worked just fine for 5 gallons, 10 didn't work so well and forget cold crashing. Ended up going with a used chest freezer for $100.

If I were to do it again, wait for a sale on freezers and get a new one then. With the holidays coming up, I bet you could find a brand new one for $125 to $150. I found a 10.2cf Insignia for $199.99 last year for my kegerator.

I guess it would depend on how many gallons you might have fermenting at one time.

I originally went with taking a dorm fridg. removing the door, and building a box off of the front. It worked just fine for 5 gallons, 10 didn't work so well and forget cold crashing. Ended up going with a used chest freezer for $100.

If I were to do it again, wait for a sale on freezers and get a new one then. With the holidays coming up, I bet you could find a brand new one for $125 to $150. I found a 10.2cf Insignia for $199.99 last year for my kegerator.
dang! Thanks! That's pretty much what I'm looking for. I think I'm definitely leaning more towards the chest freezer. Any suggestions on where to look?

Any of the big box stores should be having sales next month, it's full of Holidays, black Friday, Cyber Monday, just pick one!

I found mine at Best Buy.

dang! Thanks! That's pretty much what I'm looking for. I think I'm definitely leaning more towards the chest freezer. Any suggestions on where to look?

They had 7.7cu ft chest freezers at lowes for ~$175 when I was there yesterday, and they'd probably deliver it to you.

In every hobby there is a spectrum of people from "I'm willing to DIY for 12 hours to save $20 and get exactly what I want" all the way to "I'd rather spend an extra $50 for something that is pretty much what I want and works from day 1".

You'll save yourself time and money in the long run if you decide where you're at in the spectrum early in the brewing hobby :D

[...]I've been scouring craigslist and have seen a few ads for some chest freezers. The best one I've seen is an 8cu. ft. chest freezer for $125. The only problem is that getting it back home would be a bit of a pain...[...]

8.8 cf chest freezer outside dimensions: 41"W x 23"D x 34"H.
Weight: 87 pounds

If you can't at least get the better part of that in the back of a Highlander you should sell that POS...

Cheers! ;)

Ive had a pretty easy time getting truck-owning friends and neighbors to take an hour or two out of a day for an open invitation to swing by and grab some pints here and there. Just something to keep in mind as a homebrewer...

Back