Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread because I did not take the time to read all 17 pages, but let me share an experience I had. 72 hours after pitching my Belgian witbier Wyeast, I knew that fermentation must be happening because I peeked in the bucket and there was a nice thick healthy kraeusen. However not a single bubble yet.

I would bet that most of the time this phenomenon is due to an imperfect seal of the lid. So I sniffed around the edge of the lid, and sure enough, it was easy to smell right where the leak was. So, if you are fermenting in a bucket and worried about no bubbles, the nose knows!

I started a Beer House brand pilsner kit last week and used a Wyeast liquid yeast pack. I stupidly didn't allow the pack to expand for 3+ hours before pitching and it took about 5-6 days for the fermentation to really start. I was sure the yeast wasn't going to start up but sure enough it did. It just took a heck of a long time. My fault. I'll know what to do next time for sure.

Thought I would throw my .02 in here too.

I made my first lager on saturday (a schwarzbier) from a kit from Austin Homebrew. Austin Homebrew instructions said to keep the yeast at 72-74 degrees for at least 24 hours before pitching, and to pitch to a room temperature wort, then wait until fermentation started before cooling.

But I had read in "How To Brew", that this was a bad idea. The book said to cool the yeast to the temp you are going to ferment at, and to pitch the yeast to a wort that is a similar temperature. So I tossed my Wyeast Activator pouch in my keezer at 50F the night before I brewed the beer.

After making my beer I cooled the wort down to 55F, and pitched the yeast. Tossed the bucket in the keezer at 50F.

Now, this is my first lager, I am used to ales starting fermentation within 12 hours. After 24 hours I was worried. After 36 hours I was scouring boards, until I found this one, and calmed down. After 48 hours, the airlock is bubbling away.

This board helped alot, especially on my first lager, thanks guys.

i didnt really know where to post this, but it sorta relates to the thread. i brewed a porter on sunday at about 4pm. i believe it began fermenting about 16 hours later, give or take an hour. the temp was about 72, there was a nice layer of foam, bubbles, and a lot of movement going on inside. the problem is, early tuesday morning, i discovered the nice foam and movement in the fermentor had pretty much ceased, as well as the bubbles. i also discovered the temp had dropped from about 72 to 65. im just now trying to bring the temp back up with a space heater. but i cannot keep it on all the time cause i work a lot, so the temp may drop a little bit. right now its about 71, but still no changes have occured. my question, if your yeast falls asleep cause the temp dropped and you warm it back up, gennerally how long should it take to get active again? also, could something else have happened here?
thanx

Hey, just thought I'd take a second to thank everyone who's contributed on this thread. I started my 3rd batch last night (clone of Fuller's London Porter) and for the first time felt like I had really done the full process without any of the small mistakes that everyone seems to make during that first batch or two. So right after the national championship, I pitch my yeast, take my fermenter downstairs, rig up a blow off tube (my first two batches were so active they clogged up my airlock so I figured I'd go ahead and just start of with a blow off tube for the primary), and told the yeasts to do their thing.

So I get up this morning expecting to see my brew bubbling along but instead there isn't the first sign of bubbling and there isn't even enough pressure pushing up on the lid to get a bubble or two out when I press down.

So I leave for the office and while there read through pretty much all the post in this thread. When I finally get home I check again and still no activity. At this point I would like to have RDWHAHB, unfortunately though I didn't have any home brew yet since I'm not scheduled to bottle my first batches until tomorrow. So seeing that I was SOL on that front I started going through a few of the steps I'd read here. First I got a strong light on the bucket to see if I could make out the kraeusen had formed, not seeing any I cracked the lid to check further, again no sign. So I sealed the lid again, gave the bucket a few good shakes and moved a small space heater into the room to bump up the temp a few degrees.

Forty-five minutes later I'm go back down to make sure the heater's working right and as soon as I walk in the door I hear bubbling.

So again, thanks everyone. You definitely saved me a lot of worrying on this batch.

Cheers!

Hi!

I have done sone homebrewing, but this one is really bugging me. I decided to try out a lager. It's Muntons Premium Lager. I sI went by the recipe, but used sugar instead of DME. Original gravity was 1065. I pitched the yeast (the one included) after rehydrating and making sure it was alright. The temperature was 78 degrees. I placed the fermenter into my basement which is cool enough in this time of year (at least according to advice about making lagers) with its 59 degrees aproximate. After a day, there was no krausen forming. I thought it may be too cold for it (after all, it's a kit and the instruction said it needs to be between 64 and 68 degrees) and moved the fermenter into a room with constant temperature of 72 degrees. Still no action, as far as fermentation is concerned. Any ideas about the cause or is it just because it's a different stile of beer? I am more used to porters, cider etc.

OK I posted this in the beginner's forum but wanted to hit this thread too.

I just got into homebrewing and am on my 3rd batch. The first 2 were from extract kits and went off w/out a hitch. For xmas I got Sam Calagione's Extreme Brewing book and decided to make the Beginner's Brown Ale recipe. Everything went fine during the boil. I pitched the liquid yeast (I think it was a White Labs American Ale) in a large pyrex of boiled and cooled water with a few big tablespoons of extract about 5 hours before time to add it to the cooled wort. I got zero activity, NONE. But I pitched it anyway after aerating the wort and aerated again after pitching the yeast.

24 hrs later zero activity still. Unfortunately I did forget to take the OG but ballpark for the recipe was 1070. So the following day I pitched a pack of dry yeast I had rehydrated in warm water for 1/2 hr. The wort took off w/in hrs. So I thought crisis averted. Well, the recipe calls for me to add 10 oz of maple syrup to the fermenter once the OG drops to 1040.

When I checked it a day later it was 1035 so I dissolved the maple syrup in boiled water, let it cool to 75 and stirred it in. After that fermentation completely stopped. Its been 2 days and the SG hasn't changed and haven't had any activity through the airlock. I swirled the fermenter back and forth gently w/out splashing hoping to get the yeast back into suspension but nothing changed. I also moved it from the cool closet at 65* upstairs to 72ish* w/out change. I moved it back to the closet rather than leave it too hot but now I'm wondering if I should pitch more yeast...

Thx in advance.

I started a Beer House brand pilsner kit last week and used a Wyeast liquid yeast pack. I stupidly didn't allow the pack to expand for 3+ hours before pitching and it took about 5-6 days for the fermentation to really start. I was sure the yeast wasn't going to start up but sure enough it did. It just took a heck of a long time. My fault. I'll know what to do next time for sure.
Same thing here on underpitching lager, learned my lesson. Its been almost 5 days and I havent seen a whole ton of activity. The airlock is bubbling super slow (1 bubble every 2 minutes), it has a layer of krausen, and i can see a decent amount of small co2 bubbles rising from the bottom, but im still waiting for the thing to go nuts.

I just made a batch of Red Ale and pitched Wyeast liquid activator pouch. A few days before brewing I popped the nutrient pouch thinking I was going to make a starter, but then I read the pouch and it said no starter need and to directly pitch it into the wort. I immediately put it back into the fridge and brewed about four days later. Fermentation started about 16 hours after pitching, but it has been 6 days now and I haven't gotten the vigorous activity I usually get with my brews. Do you recommend pitching any more yeast or waiting it out and letting it do its thing? Now that I am thinking about it I should probably get a hydrometer reading also to measure fermentation.

I just made a batch of Red Ale and pitched Wyeast liquid activator pouch. A few days before brewing I popped the nutrient pouch thinking I was going to make a starter, but then I read the pouch and it said no starter need and to directly pitch it into the wort. I immediately put it back into the fridge and brewed about four days later. Fermentation started about 16 hours after pitching, but it has been 6 days now and I haven't gotten the vigorous activity I usually get with my brews. Do you recommend pitching any more yeast or waiting it out and letting it do its thing? Now that I am thinking about it I should probably get a hydrometer reading also to measure fermentation.

I reccomend you take a hydro reading instead of looking for vigorous activity...or re-pitching...

You really can't judge fermentation any other way....

Read this...http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Think_evaluation_before_action/

A little followup. I tested the gravity of my lager on wednesday and it's working. I have no bubbles in my airlock,altough the fermenter is airtight. But the gravity went to 1015 in four days. So airlock activity really is no indicator.

Thanks Revvy. I got a hydrometer reading and the gravity was 1.014, down from an OG of 1.032 in 6 days. Looks like things are working after all.:ban:

I pitched my first batch Sat Jan 24. used Coopers IPA and Bries Sparkling Amber.Followed all sanitization rules, got my yeast working before I pitched it, cooled the wort, pitched the yeast, poured it into my 2 gal of sterile water it my fermetor from about 4 feet up to aerate it. I was told that there was a little edge on the top of the plastic bucket that sometimes keeps it from being air tight, so scraped that off. Put on the lid, filled the airlock 1/2 way with water, set the fermentor where the temp would be about 68-70 and nothing happened. 3 days later I added more yeast, it foamed and bubbled for about 2 hrs, since then nothing, not on bubble in that airlock. Now I forgot to take a reading and will do that today. BUT HOW IS IT possible that I can see no activity for so long? Can it be fermenting and not have a big head on the top and no activity in the airlock?

Its only been 40 hours and well im getting a tad bit worried i could have botched something. I realize i have a few more hours before i should really be worried (which i greatly appreciate the info Orfy), however i read through some of the other blogs and notice its not a good thing to take more than 12 hours. I did use liquid yeast which now i know usually takes longer but...i duno.

So i was just wondering what are some of the common mistakes which prevent fermentation?

That way i can trace back my steps and see if i messed something up or i just need to be more patient.

PS: Its an IPA that im brewing and i did not use a airlock. Instead i used a blow off tube but forgot to submerge the other end under some sort of sanitary liquid to airlock it. Could this be the culprit? Also I read Revvy’s blog “think EValuate before ACtion” and noticed he mentioned little white fizzy stuff on the beer which ment post krauzen yet still active yeast colonies. However, is fizzy the same as fuzzy? Because that’s what I see. Could it really have been a fast fermentation? And since its only been 40 some hours how long should I wait till I take another hydrometer reading?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx.
-Eepa

From the reading I've done on this forum, it's pretty hard to mess up fermentation. Either you have a really slow fermentation, or very rapid. It would have been better to have an airlock (which I thought you were buying, otherwise you could have borrowed one), or put your blow-off in a cup of sanitized water. The bubbles are a good indication that fermentation is taking place. However, the bubbles are not a good indication of whether or not fermentation is complete. The only sure way is to take a hydrometer sample for three days. If the gravity reading has little or no variation, then fermentation is complete. Also, if your liquid yeast was not at room temperature (or at least out of the fridge) for a minimum of three hours, then it could have slow fermentation. There can be many things to botch the homebrew, but I doubt you did anything wrong.

After almost a year of brewing, reading these forums, and even posting on the subject of a lack of airlock activity not meaning much I still find it hard not to worry when I near the 72 hour mark with no activity.

Oh well

After almost a year of brewing, reading these forums, and even posting on the subject of a lack of airlock activity not meaning much I still find it hard not to worry when I near the 72 hour mark with no activity.

Oh well
Pitched my yeast Sunday around 6:00pm. Still very little if any airlock activity at 6:00am today Wednesday morning. I did see it bubble once.

Something's going on there, but it is really really slow. I guess 49F is just a tad bit too low for the Nottingham. Might have to warm it up tonight.

I am glad this sticky is here to reassure me! My first batch was bubbling by the time I woke up the morning after brewing it, but 12 hours into batch #2 there was no activity.

Maybe this new hobby will finally teach me patience!

I am glad this sticky is here to reassure me! My first batch was bubbling by the time I woke up the morning after brewing it, but 12 hours into batch #2 there was no activity.

Maybe this new hobby will finally teach me patience!
Heh. Indeed it will. The cold temperatures have been getting to me lately. All summer long, I had problems getting my beer down to the 60F range. Now I'm struggling to stay above 55F.

I always seem to have some lag (24-36 hours) since I started doing AG last Spring.

Just an update to my beer with 3 days of no airlock activity...

I was anxious so I checked the gravity. Its nearly done fermenting. My 11th batch of beer and this is the first one with no airlock activity what so ever. I would have expected more from a wheat beer given all of the stories and pictures of wheat beers requiring blow off tubes. Regardless, its yet another example of how hydrometer readings are your best tool to judge fermentation.

Yup it's chugging away slowly. I took a peak and there is quite a large yeast colony on the prowl. I've been using the foam control drops lately, and it is somewhat fun because you kind of see what's happening.

Did a German Dunkel used WL Southern German Lager yeast with exp. date of March 2009(WL 838). Did not use a starter and pitched yeast at 53 degrees with a specific gravity of 1.062. I have nothing at 36 hours and just aggitated and looked into the bucket and zero activity. Would you recommend re-pitching another vial of WL 838 or wait this out? Little worried I had a bad yeast to begin with.

Should I be concerned if I forgot to fill the airlock with water? I noticed it after 15hrs and filled it with water then.

So, I've been RDWH[lots of]MB for the last week but now I'm starting to get worried again :)

This is my first batch - brew day went well but all I had to ferment in was the 5gal better bottle so I got a nice blow off overnight. Hops everywhere. I woke up in the morning cleaned it up and put the airlock back in. Carboy was warm ot the touch so I was worried I might have killed the yeast. There was a very small layer of krausen on top then it disappeared. Took a couple of gravity readings, here they are:

feb 6th (OG): 1.047
feb 9th: 1.027
feb 14th: 1.021

So, it's been 8 days and it's barely at 3.35%abv. It is also really cloudy with tons of hop/grassy flavors (granted that should get taken care of with aging / conditioning).

The bottom of the carboy has two layers of sediment, a dark brown stuff (i'm assuming, normal; and whitish stuff - yeast?)

I plan on leaving it in there for another couple of weeks, but is there anything I can do to help it along? Maybe stir the yeast back into suspension (with proper sanitation and without aerating it)?

Or should I just RD[frickin]WHA[damn]MB?

Thanks!
-D

So, I've been RDWH[lots of]MB for the last week but now I'm starting to get worried again :)

This is my first batch - brew day went well but all I had to ferment in was the 5gal better bottle so I got a nice blow off overnight. Hops everywhere. I woke up in the morning cleaned it up and put the airlock back in. Carboy was warm ot the touch so I was worried I might have killed the yeast. There was a very small layer of krausen on top then it disappeared. Took a couple of gravity readings, here they are:

feb 6th (OG): 1.047
feb 9th: 1.027
feb 14th: 1.021

So, it's been 8 days and it's barely at 3.35%abv. It is also really cloudy with tons of hop/grassy flavors (granted that should get taken care of with aging / conditioning).

The bottom of the carboy has two layers of sediment, a dark brown stuff (i'm assuming, normal; and whitish stuff - yeast?)

I plan on leaving it in there for another couple of weeks, but is there anything I can do to help it along? Maybe stir the yeast back into suspension (with proper sanitation and without aerating it)?

Or should I just RD[frickin]WHA[damn]MB?

Thanks!
-D

Totally normal. I know the temptation to mess with it is high, but just leave it alone. There's no need to stir up the yeast, they are pros and know what they're doing.

Totally normal. I know the temptation to mess with it is high, but just leave it alone. There's no need to stir up the yeast, they are pros and know what they're doing.

Cool, thanks! What do you think I should be shooting for in terms of FG with this recipe?

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.30 lb Muntons Amber LME (18.0 EBC) Extract 51.97 %
2.50 lb Muntons Dark LME (55.0 EBC) Extract 39.37 %
0.55 lb Muntons Light LME (10.0 EBC) Extract 8.66 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.90 %] (60 min) Hops 15.7 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.80 %] (30 min) Hops 11.8 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.80 %] (15 min) Hops 7.6 IBU

I checked on mine today and it should be lower...
2/14/9 OG: 1.086
2/18/9 it is at 1.030

the recipie calls for it to be at 1.070 OG and end up at 1.014-1.018. I gave it a stir and will let it sit for a couple more days, but there is no more lock activity. Think this one is done?

I checked on mine today and it should be lower...
2/14/9 OG: 1.086
2/18/9 it is at 1.030

the recipie calls for it to be at 1.070 OG and end up at 1.014-1.018. I gave it a stir and will let it sit for a couple more days, but there is no more lock activity. Think this one is done?

After 4 days a lot of beers aren't done fermenting. That is especially true of the higher gravity beers. Give your beer 7-10 days before thinking about it being done. And even then there is the whole thing about letting the yeast clean up after themselves...as in 3+ total weeks in the primary before it is truly done.

High gravity beer + FG not reached yet + only 4 days in the primary = most definitely not done.

I know I shouldn't be worrying, but I just want to double check with you guys.

I'm brewing my 3rd batch and it's kind of worrying me. The first problem started with pitching the yeast. As I was measuring the temperature while cooling my thermometer slipped out of my hands and broke. The last time I measured, it was about 88 degrees. I waited a bit longer to pitch the yeast and it looked as if it cooled a bit.

I only noticed fermentation for a day and it wasn't as fierce as the previous batches. It's been in primary for a month and the gravity reading is 1.010 (which is what it should be).

The only thing that is bothering me is that the beer has a strong smell, not as if it stinks, but when i take a sniff I can really, really smell the alcohol.

Is everything OK, or should I be worried about anything? I want to put it into secondary any time now and just want to make sure that it's not ruined.

Thanks in advance for help, and sorry for the long post.

What was your OG?
If your ABV is high enough, you can detect alcohol in the aroma.

What temp was the fermentation done at?
If the yeast fermented at high (>70-75F), higher order alcohols can be produced, which tend to be more pronounced in the aroma than ethanol.

So i brewed my first brew; a Brewers Best Weisenbier, about 3 days ago and i dont want to sound like a noob. but ill say it anyway after 3 days no bubbleing in the airlock i took the lid off ecpecting to see a layer of foam i only saw little spots of foam, so i took another SG reading and boom same reading as the first day. and it worrys me after 3 days because im pretty sure i started my yeast in about 90 degree water and im begining to believe that i might have killed it from the begining.

well, we're waiting a bit impatiently for our second batch to get going. it will be 48 hours in about an hour. planning on waiting another full 24 hours then taking a SG measurement. not easy waiting. tick...tock...tick...tock

Hi Guys,
I have started my first home brew beer, with a brand new home brew beer kit.

The OG was 1042 when I first added yeast, and the temp was 28C.

I noticed that although I had the lid on nice and tight, there was no bubbling in the airlock, but coming to this forum, I didn't worry about it.

A day later and still no bubbles, but what I did notice was that if I put my nose to the underside of the lid,I could smell the brew, so I was assuming that there was a slight air leak. This was a little disappointing considering it is brand new and was on pretty tight (I did make sure it was on properly!)

Three days later, there was still no bubbling, and this time, the smell was very weak compared to before when putting my nose to the lid. I took a gravity reading and it is where it is supposed to be for this brew, at 1008.

So based on this, and the fact that although I didn't see bubbles in the air lock, there is some serious condensation underneath the lid, that it is near ready for bottling. I also assume that maybe because the kit is new,the seal may need some sort of lubricant. Is there anything people can suggest as a good lubricant to wipe on the o-ring seal?

Cheers
Dean

Hi there,

New to beer making and I just made my beer kit last night (Black Rock, Nut Brown Ale) and put it in the pail with yeast and all at proper temp and now how do I tell if it's bubbling without opening the lid? I know they say not to open the lid. My gravity reading was 1040 by the way.

I read that it should start to bubble 6-12 hours later.

My current temp at this time is 24 degrees. It was 19 when I put the yeast in.

Could someone help me out?

Thank you.

Hi there,

New to beer making and I just made my beer kit last night (Black Rock, Nut Brown Ale) and put it in the pail with yeast and all at proper temp and now how do I tell if it's bubbling without opening the lid? I know they say not to open the lid. My gravity reading was 1040 by the way.

I read that it should start to bubble 6-12 hours later.

My current temp at this time is 24 degrees. It was 19 when I put the yeast in.

Could someone help me out?

Thank you.

You wait. As the title of this thread should have told you, fermentation can take 24 to 72 hours to show visible signs. That's not just a catchy title, it's the truth.

I wish Orfy had left the original title of this thread alone...I think the "visiable signs" of fermentation line is once again confusing to some of you..Even though he says repeatedly the Airlock Bubbling or lack of is not a good indication of activity...

People keep going with bubbling airlocks as a sign and worry if they don't see bubbling.....

And if you look around the forums you might think there is an epidemic of stuck fermentations...when in reality it is simply an epidemic of not bubbling airlocks...once the new brewer takes a hydro reading he/she is surprised to find that they worried for nothing...Becasue fermentation did occur, despite the lack of bubbling.

I'm sure I've posted this in here before...and many of us say it over and over and over...so here I go again...:D

You should never rely on the bubbling or lack of on a cheap plastic airlock as a "fermentation Gauge," it's not...It's an airlock, nothing more, a VALVE to release excess CO2, to keep from blowing the lid off the fermentor...

If it's not bubbling that just means that there's not enough CO2 to climb out of the airlock, or the CO2 is just forming a nice cushion on top of the beer like it's supposed to, or the airlock is askew, or it is leaking out the cheap rubber grommet, or you have a leak in the bucket seal, or around the carboy grommet...all those are fine...if CO2 is getting out then nothing's getting in....

Over half of my beers have had no airlock activity...AND that is spread out among carboys, buckets. water bottles, and anything else I may ferment in, and regardless of the type of airlock...I have 9 different fermenters...

That's why I and many others say repeatedly that the only gauge of fermentaion is your hydrometer (or refractometer) . Those are precision calibrated instruments...

More than likely your fermentation is going nicely at it's own pace but for a dozen possible reasons your airlock isn't bubbling...simple as that. Get out of the habit of thinking it is a precision instrument and you will find you are less worried...The only precise methid of gauging fermentation is taking gravity readings.

Back in the bad old days, the predominant airlock was an s type...and often they were made of glass and sat relatively heavy in the grommet, and that's where people like papazain and those who influenced him got into the habit of counting bubbles...but now adays with 3 piecers being the norm, and most things being made crappy these days...it's just not a reliable means anymore.

The trouble is, that even the authors for the most part have been brewing so long that they don't pay attention to the airlock, yet the perpetuate the myth from the old days of bubbles meaning anything....though I figure, as a writer myself, they have long moved past the basic methodology that they wrote about...it's easy to do...to "preach" something very basic, while doing a process somewhat more complex...or like most of us who have been brewing awhile, taking shortcuts.

Co2 is heavier than air...there can be plenty of co2 going on, plenty of active fermentation happenning but there is not enough excess co2 rising or venting out to actually lift the plastic bubbler

The 3 piece airlock is the most fallable of them all, often there is simply not a strong enough escape of co2 to lift the bubbler. Or they can be weighted down with co2 bubbles, ir hteir is a leak in the grommet or the bucket seal, anynumber of factors.

If you push down on your bucket lid often you will suddenly get a huge amount of bubbling as you off gass the co2 that is there present but no needing to vent on it's own.

I find that the older S type airlocks, even plastic are much more reliable...in face I have started to use those old school ones exclusively. Not to use them as a gauge of fermentation...but because I like to watch the bubbles..

But even those don't always bubble..BUT you can tell theres CO2 pushing out because the liquid will be on the farthest side away from the grommet or bung hole.

Even not bubbling. you can see that something has pushed the water to the other side...
03_18_2007_airlock_mlf.jpg

There's quite a few people on here who do not use an airlock at all, they simply loosely place their lids on the bucket, or cover with saran wrap, or tinfoil or pieces of plexigalss, these just sit on the top and if the CO2 needs to void out it doess...Because as I said before if the co2 is pushing out, then NOTHING is getting in.

If you look around on here at all the supposed "stuck" fermentation panic thread are not true Stuck fermentations, or deads yeasts, but are simply people like you using treating the vent like some precision instrument...And they, just like you use the words "Signs of fermentation." And that is our clue that you are going by arilocks.

And 90% or more come back and say they took a hydro reading...and everything was fine...

Rarely do yeasts these days get stuck...this isn't like the 70's when there was one or two strains of yeast, and they came from Europe in dried out cakes, and nowadays with our hobby so popular, even most tinned kits with the yeast under the lid turn over so fast that they are relatively fresh most of the time.

So nowadays the only way our yeast "dies" or poops out is 1)If we pitch it into boiling wort 2) There is a big temp drop and the yeasts go dormant and flocculate out, or 3) if there is a high grav wort and the yeast maxes out in it's ability to eat all the sugar...and even then the yeast may poop out at either 1.030 or 1.020...But other than that most fermentations take....

AND this is regardless of any airlock bubbling...

Seriously, many of us pitch our yeast, walk away for a month and then bottle, and our beers have turned out great...The yeasts have been doing this for 5,000 years...they know what they're doing,

Hope this helps!

You will find you are much more relaxed and able to RDWHAHB...if you ignore the airlock...

and read this as well...http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Think_evaluation_before_action/

:mug:

Back