Fermentaiton Control - Just got a two stage temp controller, now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lupzilla

Reaction score
I've been looking forward to having better fermentation temperature control for a while now. And just recently I finally got a two-stage temp controller.

I am eager to hear some incite on:
best way to set up the heating element.(fermwrap, light bulb/paint can, aquarium heater, brewbelt etc.)​
if the is any benefit to using a refrigerator vs. chest freeze for the cooler / fermentation chamber​
best way to setup the controller's temperature probe(affixed against carboy, just in ambient laid out in the air of fermentation chamber, thermowell, dead band range)​

Any advice is appreciated.

Subscribed. I don't have any answers, but I'm interested in what others have to say. I have an old mini freezer that I plan to build a ferm chamber with...

Lots of threads on this one. I use a small space heater in the winter, with a 3 degree differential it always blows past the set temp so I unplug the fridge. I will eventually find something that works flawless but for now its just fine
Personally I would not use a chest freezer unless you have an extremely strong back as you will be lifting carboys and cleaning the bottom frequently. I custom built mine with a mini fridge.
I let the probe dangle with a .5 degree differential. I always start with low temps, I then monitor the temp of the carboy and adjust as needed. I use this method so there is little to no temperature changes to the fermenting beer.
good luck

I can just talk about my experiences.

I chose a freezer because I wanted to maximize my fermentation space. I also wanted to set it up as a backup keezer for use on my deck when I'm not fermenting.

Here's a writeup of my Keezer and my fermentation chamber. My ferm chamber is toward the end of the post. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/b-boys-3-tap-keezer-377240/.

My setup allows for 1 6.5-gallon carboy and 1 3-gallon carboy, or 3 3-gallon carboys.

I used a small freezer (3 Cu Ft) because I had limited space. It's on wheels so it's very mobile. I added a 6" collar so I could use the compressor hump as part of the fermenter. I use a 100W ceramic reptile bulb to heat the unit. The whole unit works very well, and having the ability to cold crash and serve kegs is a bonus.

One disadvantage to a freezer is getting kegs/carboys in and out of the unit. You need to be able to lift 50-60 lbs in and out of the freezer as needed.

My temp probe is in a thermowell I built from a length of copper tubing. It sits in a small plastic bottle of water affixed to the side of the unit. It works, but I think a better option would be a thermowell inside the fermentor. My probe only measuers the temperature of the unit, not the actual fermentation temperature. I generally set my temp a few degrees lower than my target to account for this.

I ferment in a freezer. I decided on this because it took up less space, was easier to find for cheap on Craigslist and allowed me to ferment two 6.5gallon carboys within it. I tape the temp probe to a carboy and then cover it with some insulating material.

I heat with a heating pad and just did a Belgian Golden Strong ramping the temps up to 82 despite ambient temps in the teens outside and down in the 40s in my garage.

If you go this way be sure to put a thing of Damp-Rid in the bottom. Humidity is an issue in there, especially at ale fermentation temps and then when you crash cool things.

Picking the carboys up is a bit of an issue. Brewhaulers or the brewbags sold by MoreBeer are helpful.

Another advantage I've noticed is that I can easily do lagers no matter what the temps outside are. It has cooling capacity to spare. This summer I did a Pils in June and let it ferment and then lager for 6 weeks. It tied up the freezer through the worst part of our summer and gave me an excuse to stay out of the garage when its triple digits out. Also, I got a nice summer drinking beer at the end of it.

I've been looking forward to having better fermentation temperature control for a while now. And just recently I finally got a two-stage temp controller.

I am eager to hear some incite on:
best way to set up the heating element.(fermwrap, light bulb/paint can, aquarium heater, brewbelt etc.)​
if the is any benefit to using a refrigerator vs. chest freeze for the cooler / fermentation chamber​
best way to setup the controller's temperature probe(affixed against carboy, just in ambient laid out in the air of fermentation chamber, thermowell, dead band range)​

Any advice is appreciated.

Chest freezers work very well, hold temp very well, and energy efficient.

I use reptile heating coils lined on the inside.

I have the freezer turn on at 69 and turn off at 66 (it then continues to drop to 64).

Coils turn on at 62 and turn off at 65 (will then rise to 66).

This keeps my avg ambient temp at 65. I don't put the probe in a carboy, I shoot for an avg ambient temp of 65.

This has worked well for me...there are many other ways that may work better or worse.

Depending on your ambient temps I think a temperature controlled water bath is the way to go. Much more thermal mass means less temperature swings in either direction. I have mine set for a .3 degree differential since I don't have to worry about burning out a compressor.

Back