Fermentable Sugars from Steeping Flaked Wheat????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMCBrewer

Reaction score
Hey All... So I haven't done an extract batch in a while and I'm helping a friend out who is just getting into brewing... She's got a recipe that calls for 5# Extra Light DME, 1# Wheat LME, and 5# of Flaked wheat. The recipe calls for the flaked wheat to be steeped for an hour at 145*, then drain, boil, etc... Looking at the ingredients it seems like this is going to be quite low on fermentables... if I'm correct, we are not going to gain any fermentable sugars from steeping the flaked wheat, just color and flavor. Am I correct in this? I'm guessing that she would need to up the DME in order to get the correct amount of fermentables to make the batch she's looking for.

Thanks for the assistance!

Flaked wheat should not give you any fermentables but is there to aid in head retention/flavor. This recipe may be for a light beer and if so it should be fine without more fermentables. I sometimes like a beer without much alcohol so I brew a batch that way.

Is that 5 pounds of flaked wheat or 0.5 pounds? Seems 5 pounds would produce a very heavy bodied beer with a lot of haze.

Back