Fermcap S: Height of activity in yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbtenor

Reaction score
I have a stuck fermentation that I'm going to try to fix by pitching a healthy starter of WLP099 (High Grav) at high krausen. Trouble is, I pressure canned my wort with foam control (fermcap S: 1 drop for 2 gal), so no krausen. This is my first experiment with foam control. For a regular starter, I let it ferment out, decant, and pitch. Since I don't have any krausen here, when is the peak of fermentation to pitch into my stuck batch?

It's very difficult to tell when using foam control, sometimes you can discern a debris ring just above the level of wort on the glass but only maybe 1/8" or so above.

You can usually go by the visual indicators that a starter is done. The color lightens up, you get that milkiness. And even with foam control if a considerable amount of fermentation has gone on I still get head when I swirl the starter around myself. If you are really concerned you could take a gravity reading on the starter to make sure it fermented out.

The wort will be cloudy. You are looking for actively working yeast.

Thanks all. The starter is definitely done (not at peak). I think I'll decant and pitch more wort in now that I know the warning signs. I have a long way to go on this stuck ferment, so more yeast isn't going to hurt

Back