Fermcap in starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Komocabo

Reaction score
So I almost always have a potential mess when making a standard 2L starter in a 2l flask. After 6 hours, fermentation is going like crazy, and threatening to exit my flask covered with foil. The beginning starters were a total mess. So I've started to drop a few drops of fermcap in the starter at about 6 hours to avoid the mess. Is there a problem with this practice? The starter calms down and carries on from there... Also, the beer doesn't seem to be affected once I pitch the yeast.

Note, I use fermcap in the starter wort too to avoid boil overs.

I can't seem to find what this magical stuff is made from, but I an starting to question my practice...

So is it fine? What do you do.

Cheers

Just in the flask for boiling, although I think my over zealous stir plate makes sure any fermentation krausen gets beat down

Excellent j1n. I will check that thread out. Had trouble finding the info previously.

Cheers

So I read your thread and it seems like some folks are using it in the fermenter to avoid a massive blow off... basically the same concept for me as I'm using it to avoid a blow off type of situation with my starters. Ok! Sounds like I have nothing to worry about. Whew.

Back