Fermcap and fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdbentz

Reaction score
I have recently began using Fermcap in my boil to help avoid boil overs. All seems to be going well, but my fermentation seems to start slower and be far less vigorous. I know Fermcap can be used to help control foam during fermentation but does anyone have any experience as to if or why it may slow or minimize fermentation?

I have been using fermcap in my batches consistently for the last few years. while i did not notice a slower fermentation start, the but the amount of krausen created is much less then batches where I didn't use it. So yes, it does effect the way fermentation "looks.'

I brew all grain and use dry yeast for the most part. Some times hydrating the yeast, sometimes not. I did notice that the krausen created by using a liquid yeast with a 1 quart starter was much more abundant.

Hope this helps.

I used about 24 drops into 12.5 gallons the other night. Took about 12 hours to get going but she's chugging away now.

I started using Fermancap about a year ago, I have not noticed a difference in the rate of fermentation (measured periodically via a refractometer), however, as others have said, the fermentations do look slower in the sense of krausen.

On a side note, does anyone know if it expires? I usually use about 5 to 6 drops per 5.5 gallons, and generally that works just fine. I, for the first time, used WYeast 3787, the Trappist high gravity strain, and it was if I added no Fermencap. I had a serious blow off that probably lost half the total yeast population. I added 10 more drops, and it fowled the airlock again, and again after more drops, and even a 4th time. Now the batch is pretty much terminal, but good lord.

I started using Fermancap about a year ago, I have not noticed a difference in the rate of fermentation (measured periodically via a refractometer), however, as others have said, the fermentations do look slower in the sense of krausen.

On a side note, does anyone know if it expires? I usually use about 5 to 6 drops per 5.5 gallons, and generally that works just fine. I, for the first time, used WYeast 3787, the Trappist high gravity strain, and it was if I added no Fermencap. I had a serious blow off that probably lost half the total yeast population. I added 10 more drops, and it fowled the airlock again, and again after more drops, and even a 4th time. Now the batch is pretty much terminal, but good lord.

Fermcap-S needs to be kept in the fridge, and heat over time destroys its properties, from what I've read. My LHBS stores them in the yeast fridge.

I only use a small drop for my starters after having lost half the yeast to the countertop one time too many. I add that drop when I boil the starter wort, it effectively prevents foaming and boilovers too.

You may have to add it to the boil perhaps?

Yep, I store it in the fridge too.

I don't believe it has to go in the boil, as it has worked wonders on my previous batches, particularly with German ale yeast, another monster yeast. I think it may just be the 3787 is just a huge top cropper. Now that I think about it, it also may have been due to the 10 or so % of simple sugars in the recipe.

I bought some fermcap-s in November of 2008 and have kept it cold since and it still works the same. Just this week, I've moved on to patcote 376 though. I think a trial is in order because I used the patcote in a starter on Tuesday and it grew 20% fewer cells than normal. There is much more patcote required to get the same effectiveness as fermcap too but it's supposed to be safer.

Yep, I store it in the fridge too.

I don't believe it has to go in the boil, as it has worked wonders on my previous batches, particularly with German ale yeast, another monster yeast. I think it may just be the 3787 is just a huge top cropper. Now that I think about it, it also may have been due to the 10 or so % of simple sugars in the recipe.

Yeah, 3787 is one prolific top fermenter. You're probably right and the Fermcap can't control that amount of krausen very well.

I bought some fermcap-s in November of 2008 and have kept it cold since and it still works the same. Just this week, I've moved on to patcote 376 though. I think a trial is in order because I used the patcote in a starter on Tuesday and it grew 20% fewer cells than normal. There is much more patcote required to get the same effectiveness as fermcap too but it's supposed to be safer.

I've read the shelf life of Fermcap-S is a year, stored in the fridge, and prevented from freezing. But as with so many arbitrary and bogus expiration dates (they're all good for padding bottom lines everywhere, except the consumers'), I take that with a large grain of salt. You seem to have evidence of that. :rockin:

The jury is still out on the dangers of silicone compounds (like Fermcap-S) in food products. It is supposed to drop out, so it ends up in the trub, allegedly. So only small amounts for me now.

I used Fermcap-S in my latest IPA. Used the recommended amount in the boil, then in the carboy and STILL had a vigorous fermentation and Krausen coming through the airlock. Luckily I caught it before it got too bad and I added more Fermcap-S which did the trick. Used the Wyeast 1217 with a 2L starter and fermentation started and was heavy within 7 hours (when I woke up)

I, for the first time, used WYeast 3787, the Trappist high gravity strain, and it was if I added no Fermencap. I had a serious blow off that probably lost half the total yeast population. I added 10 more drops, and it fowled the airlock again, and again after more drops, and even a 4th time. Now the batch is pretty much terminal, but good lord.

Many Belgian yeasts just laugh at FermCap. Seems not all yeasts are tamed by the stuff. I've found WLP500 and WLP550 are also aggressive even with FermCap.

I had a bottle I used for about 2 years. Stored in the fridge. On a couple of boils it just didn't seem to be doing it's normal job, so I got a new bottle. No difference .......... finally figured it was due to adding large amounts of leaf hops to the boil.

Seems to me it is still working the same after 2 years as new.

I love the stuff, but only use it during the boil and a couple drops for starters. My false bottom catches a lot of the break material so I'd imagine it's catching the fermcap on the way down as well. My sankes provide 4-5g of headspace for fermenting so I've never had a blowoff problem with them.

Back