Ferm temps question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakedasnake

Reaction score
So i just brewed a Red rye ale yesterday, got the recipe from this forum. It is my first brew that i have a fridge to cool down the fermentation temps. I have a Johnson controller to dial in the temps. I pitched the yeast yesterday at around 75F, i left it at that temp and figured by this morning i would turn it down to around 67, but when i got to it this morning fermentation was in full swing and the temp was around 77. Now i lowered the temps with the refrigerator to about 67 but my question is did i lower the temps down to late or will this affect the flavors that will come out in the end? By the way i used white labs cali ale 000.

thanks guys

It'll probably come out fine.

But how do you have a controller that doesn't control the ferm temps? Do you not have the probe on the carboy? I tape mine to the carboy with a towel over it and it keeps it within 2 degrees.

No it does have a probe on it, but i was reading and was thinking that to leave the temps warm first to get the fermentation started then drop the temps. I was thinking at lower temps like 66 or 67 the yeast wont come alive. Maybe im wrong how do you guys normally do this?

i've only recently started using a fridge for fermentation control. What I have been doing is, when my immersion chiller seems to hit a point of diminishing returns (usually around 70-72 F) I put the wort in the carboy, then toss it in the fridge before pitching, and let it drive the wort down to where I want to pitch it. I figure an extra couple hours pre-pitch is better than pitching it so warm. Then I let the controller take it from there.

No it does have a probe on it, but i was reading and was thinking that to leave the temps warm first to get the fermentation started then drop the temps. I was thinking at lower temps like 66 or 67 the yeast wont come alive. Maybe im wrong how do you guys normally do this?

Also, to add: That's almost the opposite of what you want to do. It's during the growth and initial alcohol production phases that most of the funky flavors and fusel alcohols that result from too-high fermentation are produced. So you risk having off flavors by starting it that warm.

Then, if you abruptly drop the temperature after things have gotten started, you risk making the yeast settle out and reduce or stop their activity. I don't know how big a likelihood that is, but it can certainly happen.

You'll find out soon enough how it will turn out, there's nothing you can do about it now. I wouldn't sweat it though.

For what it's worth process wise - I chill my wort down to 70*, rack to carboy, aerate, pitch my yeast starter which has been chewing along at room temp.

Chuck it straight into the fridge with the probe attached and covered with bubble wrap set at 62* (for 1056). I'm blowing off within 24-36 hours and have had no issues with attenuation or off flavors thus far.

So, see how this one turns out and adjust your process as necessary. Find out what works best for you and run with it - no one has all the answers.

ResumeMan said:
Also, to add: That's almost the opposite of what you want to do. It's during the growth and initial alcohol production phases that most of the funky flavors and fusel alcohols that result from too-high fermentation are produced. So you risk having off flavors by starting it that warm.

Then, if you abruptly drop the temperature after things have gotten started, you risk making the yeast settle out and reduce or stop their activity. I don't know how big a likelihood that is, but it can certainly happen.

+1. Set it at what temp you want to ferment at. And early in the fermentation is the worst time to be hot.

I just learned how hot my fermentation runs. My basement is about 65 so I thought I didn't need to worry about temp. I pitched my last batch and put the Jammie's on my cranky but stuck a thermometer tape on it this time. Damn, when it was bubbling away 12hours later it was 75. I took the Jammie's off and it dropped down to 70 within a few hours. Now that the fermentation has slowed its about 66. I was just naive about the heat generated by fermentation. It's a steam beer with California lager yeast but I think I pushed the steam concept!

So no Jammie's for my beer in the early stages of fermentation. Anything else I can do short of investing in a fridge?

You can look into the swamp cooler method (search on here, plenty of info).

Honestly though, I found a chest freezer on Craigslist, built a temp controller. All said and done for ~$75 I can fit two carboys in there, set the temp on the controller and never have to think about it and am guaranteed i'm fermenting at the temp I want. Well worth the price of admission as far as i'm concerned.

Latest posts

Back