Female Cam Locks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsme6582

Reaction score
Has anyone used a B-type camlock with a hose clamp? I'm afraid there aren't enough threads to hold tubing.

I know there has been some griping about the C-type (barb) camlock. The barb is too small. I also saw Bobby M's video about using a B-type (male thread) with a street elbow and using a hose clamp right on the threads of the street elbow. I basically want to do this without the street elbow.

B-type
camlockb-250x250.jpg

C-type
camlockc-250x250.jpg

I bought the C-type originally and was very unhappy with the throughput. Went to the B-type with 1/2" npt female barbs and I am very happy now. Bought it all from Bargainfittings.

I think the reason for the street elbow was so you could clamp down on the smooth section not the thread. Clamping on the thread could allow liquid to track through the thread and out. You could give it a go and if you have issues put the street elbows/barb fittings on later.

On the softer silicone tubing, it seems to fill into the valleys of the thread. I know I've just pushed it over the threads in a pinch with no leaks. My favorite situation is the street el with the threads grinded off. I did about half of mine like that so far.

My silicone tubing is jammed right over the threads on the B type. It's so tight and the silicone is so thick and spongy that there's no way liquid is going to leak. I practically had to screw the fitting into the tubing.

ETA: pic link

ETA: another pic link

I've got a silicone and a thermoplastic hose both set up this way - just use a good worm clamp to keep the hose really tight on the threads, and I haven't seen any leaks yet.

Happy to see the good results with just the B fittings. I just received mine this week and will be assembling hoses this weekend.

I don't even use a clamp. The silcone tubing is so tight fitting over the threads that it's basically screwed on. I've only done 3 batches this way since converting all my polysuphone fittings to cam-locks but I haven't had any leaks yet.

OH, and as an aside to the OP, I use street elbows on the upper side of all my hoses (the returns into the kettle/tun) to avoid kinking. The silcone gets a touch flimsy when hot and it's kinked up on me before. By using the Elbows it's a hard turn that lets the silicon tubing lay straighter down towards the pump.

OH, and as an aside to the OP, I use street elbows on the upper side of all my hoses (the returns into the kettle/tun) to avoid kinking. The silcone gets a touch flimsy when hot and it's kinked up on me before. By using the Elbows it's a hard turn that lets the silicon tubing lay straighter down towards the pump.

+1 - Not sure if Scott here is the guy who made this recommendation in a thread I opened a couple weeks ago, but I did the same thing. I used a standard 90* elbow at the end of the hose attaching to the kettle, simply because I already had a few 1/2" NPT hex nipples on hand... But this worked out great in my first run.

I definitely saw a big difference between the silicone and the thermoplastic hose too - the thermoplastic hose was so dang difficult to get over the threads that I almost didn't bother with a clamp at all. The silicone took a little work to stretch, but felt like a good sharp tug might be enough to pull it off, so I felt the clamp was more of a necessity.

This is a really good idea especially if you have the thinner wall 1/16" stuff (which by the way has no issue hadling the pressures our pumps produce... I accidentally dead head it with a 1/10 HP pump and not buldgin at all!) I need to get some street elbows now!

This pic is my exact plan. Do you think clumsy hands would knock the tubing off of the cam lock?

409040_862856507215_73400301_39936593_1635816983_n.jpg

Back