Feedback requested: IIPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HimalayanBrew

Reaction score
I'm working on an Imperial IPA recipe and could use some feedback. Here it goes...

5.5 Gallons
OG: 1.100
FG: 1.025
ABV: 10-11%
IBU: 120
SRM: 9.3

16 lbs Pale Malt
3 lbs Caramel (10)
2 pounds Munich

Mash @ 151 for 60 min

Combine the following: 3 oz Cascade + 3 oz Chinook + 4 oz Citra
Add 1.5 oz @ 60 minutes
Continuously hop 5.5 oz from 60 to flame out
Dry Hop 3 oz

Pitch a bunch of S-05 Slurry

Feedback? OK:
Drop the 10L to less than a pound. (even better, use 40L instead)
FWH w 1 oz Cascade
Use 2 oz Chinook @ 90 min
cool to ~165ºF, whirlpool 3 oz Citra, 2 oz Cascade, 1 oz Chinook for 1/2 - 1 hour
Oxygenate 2 min, pitch a lot of robust slurry
Dry hop @ 68ºF 2 oz Citra, 1 oz Cascade, 1 oz Chinook 8 days, crash, transfer, re-dryhop w 1 oz Citra, 1 oz Cascade, 1 oz Chinook 8 additional days (in keg is fine/better)
Water treatment is also a crucial factor, but we have no idea on your base water. Personally, I'M not a big fan of Munich in IIPAs, so I would sub Marris Otter, or more Pale, plus you're going to want to add 1-1 1/2 # of sugar to help dry it out.

Thanks for the great suggestions.

Do you add the sugar during the boil? I have never used sugar as an adjunct before.

Yes I add organic cane sugar at the start of the boil. I resisted using sugar for a long time out of "purity" concerns, but it really is a good way to reduce that cloying maltiness that can develop with such a large grain bill.

Using any Crystal malts at over 5% of your grist will clash with the hops. My preference is to drop the Crystal entirely in favor of something like Vienna. For my tastes, any DIPA over about 8.5% starts to get too boozy and steals the spotlight from the hops. Most of the highest rated IPAs are in the 8% range. Sticking to that, eliminating the Crystal and adding all but the bittering hops after 5 minutes (ideally whirlpooling at 180 degrees then dry hopping) is my advice.

Seems low on hops for a 1.100 DIPA, IMO. I'd go with a 5-6 oz flameout hop stand charge for flavor.I've done similar hopping to what you're laying out for 1.060 IPAs that came out lacking in hop flavor/aroma (distilled water built to 80/250 Ca & SO4 respectively)

Thanks Logdrum. I live in the Himalayas so I don't have easy access to a reliable water analysis. Perhaps I should take some back with me to the states some time to get it analyzed. I know it is fairly hard water, high in calcium.

Buy BeerSmith or something like it and plug it in. You can work out your recipe easily.
Besides that, we really don't know what your going for, maybe you add an example of what direction you leaning towards.

Feedback? OK:

FWH w 1 oz Cascade

cool to ~165ºF, whirlpool 3 oz Citra, 2 oz Cascade, 1 oz Chinook for 1/2 - 1 hour

Dry hop @ 68ºF 2 oz Citra, 1 oz Cascade, 1 oz Chinook 8 days, crash, transfer, re-dryhop w 1 oz Citra, 1 oz Cascade, 1 oz Chinook 8 additional days (in keg is fine/better)

Water treatment is also a crucial factor, but we have no idea on your base water. Personally, I'M not a big fan of Munich in IIPAs, so I would sub Marris Otter, or more Pale, plus you're going to want to add 1-1 1/2 # of sugar to help dry it out.

This is exactly what I would do so +1.
All of my IPAs are steeped. Just started doing it that what and I will never go back. Lots of hops. Lots of flavor. Nice advice.

Feedback? OK:

FWH w 1 oz Cascade

This is exactly what I would do so +1.
All of my IPAs are steeped with flameout hops. I Just started doing it that why and I will never go back. Lots of hops. Lots of flavor. Nice advice.

ADJUSTMENTS

5.5 Gallons
OG: 1.100
FG: 1.025
ABV: 10%
IBU: 95
SRM: 9.3

18 lbs Pale Malt
1 lb Caramel (10)
1 lb Munich
1 cup sugar

Mash @ 151 for 60 min

FWH - 1 oz Citra (13aa)
90 min - 2.5 oz (combination of cascade, chinook and citra)
Whirlpool - 5.5 oz (combination of cascade, chinook and citra)
Dry hop primary - 3 oz (combination of cascade, chinook and citra)
Dry hop secondary - 1 oz Citra

Sugar should be by weight. I've found that for me, Citra too early in the process can be harsh-I've never FWH'd w it though, but I've used it as a bittering hop-yikes! Love it as a w/p & dry hop.

Sugar should be by weight. I've found that for me, Citra too early in the process can be harsh-I've never FWH'd w it though, but I've used it as a bittering hop-yikes! Love it as a w/p & dry hop.

Me too... Citra is best as a late hop not first. Bitter with the chinook.

I brewed this using the adjusted recipe and it turned out fantastic. The hop aroma and flavor is off the charts and balanced really nicely with the high alcohol content (ended up at 12%) and a nice malt backbone. I've received fantastic reviews on this from members of our beer COOP.

Latest posts

Back