Feedback on local water quality report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbrennan10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Haven't been brewing long but wanted to ask if someone who knows what they're talking about could check out my water report and see if there are any glaring problems. I have a lot to learn so I'm not worried about being perfect (and this water stuff is over my head at the moment) but if there's an additive that'll always benefit me i'd like to go ahead and start throwing it in.

http://www.amwater.com/ccr/kanawhavalley.pdf

Thanks!

One of the main ones is obviously the chlorine. There are tons of posts on HBT that address water quality, if you have not already searched that way. I use Campden tablets, others boil for 10 minutes to break down Chlorine in their brew water. I'm sure others will put in their two cents worth for the rest of the chems/compounds.

There do not appear to be any assays of calcium or magnesium. You really need to know these. Decent water otherwise. 1/4 of a crushed Campden tablet (the Potassium Metabisulfite type) per 5 gallons will instantly kill the chlorine.

He does know that the sum of Ca++ and Mg++ is 0.9 mEq/L which is better than knowing nothing. He can probably guess fairly close to the actual values by assuming that half comes from each i.e. 0.45 mEq/L from Ca++ (9 mg/L) and 0.45mEq/L (5.4 mg/L) from Mg++. The amounts of alkalinity cancelled by these concentrations isn't going to be significant.

Back