Favre overload--COUNTDOWN TO 421

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ohiobrewtus said:
Oh man is that the truth. Madden and Peter King of SI seem to always have their Brett Favre asshats on. Madden mentions Favre in *every* game that he does, regardless of what teams are playing. King does the same thing in his MMQB column.

I understand the guy's a great QB and had a great career, but damn...

Well, you know, ever since Aikman, Smith and Irvin retired, Ol' Man Madden has been on the hunt for some other fanboy nutlickin' bandwagon to jump on. This is Madden's MO...that, and talking about nonsensical shyte like a caterpillar crawling around on the equipment chest, while actual football is happening.

It's funny, I wonder if Madden will mention Favre's tied-for-most-interceptions-in-NFL-history this week. Or whether they'll make up a cute little song for when he breaks the record like they did a few weeks back. Madden is a fanboy ******.

Here's to Favre breaking the record next week against the Skins. :mug:

oddly enuff the hitter with the most strike outs was one of the greatest . . .
Reggie Jackson 2,597 career strikeouts

You've got to be a pretty damn good QB to be in a position to throw as many pass attempts as Favre has. The INT record is mostly about longevity, it has essentially nothing to do with Favre's decision-making (and this is coming from a Favre-hatah). How many more pass attempts will Rex Grossman get in his career, as an example?

the_bird said:
The INT record is mostly about longevity, it has essentially nothing to do with Favre's decision-making (and this is coming from a Favre-hatah).

I disagree. While there are always 'fluke' INT's that are not the QB's fault (a perfectly thrown ball to a WR that bobbles it straight up into the air as an example), but the INT's are as much what makes Favre "an old Tony Romo" as the TD's are.

Favre is a gunslinger. He takes chances. A by-product of that is throwing a lot of INT's. Most guys aren't good enough to overcome that, but obviously Favre is.

Most of those picks are based solely upon decisions made by Favre. Take a look at, imo, the only other active sure HOF'er in Peyton Manning.

first 10 years of career:

Favre: 38,627 yds 287 TD's 170 INT's
Manning: 38,905 yds 285 TD's 141 INT's (includes 5 games of '07)

I didn't include Favre's 2 appearances with the Falcons in 1991 in the above stats. He was 0/4 with 2 picks in those 2 games.

I'm certainly not bashing on Favre, but most INT's are poor decisions by the QB - even if you are the legendary Brett Favre. Manning will most likely end up breaking Favre's career TD record before he retires, but isn't likely to also break the INT record.

I just *had* to get that 'Old Tony Romo' line in somewhere, I know that has to drive Dude nuts.

Let me rephrase....

Most of Favre's INT are the result of bad throws, I've seen him play enough to know that's the case.

If Favre did not bring enough positive things to the table - all the yards and completions and touchdown passes - he would have gotten Rex-Grossman'ed years and years ago. You can't be a crappy quarteback and be given the opportunity to throw enough passes to break the INT record. Ergo, it's a meaningless record.

ohiobrewtus said:
first 10 years of career:

Favre: 38,627 yds 287 TD's 170 INT's
Manning: 38,905 yds 285 TD's 141 INT's (includes 5 games of '07)

29 of those INTs were because the receivers fingers broke since he threw it so damn hard. The other 141 were poor decisions ;).

the_bird said:
Let me rephrase....

Most of Favre's INT are the result of bad throws, I've seen him play enough to know that's the case.

If Favre did not bring enough positive things to the table - all the yards and completions and touchdown passes - he would have gotten Rex-Grossman'ed years and years ago. You can't be a crappy quarteback and be given the opportunity to throw enough passes to break the INT record. Ergo, it's a meaningless record.

I agree. No one is ever going to associate Favre with the INT record. They're going to associate him with the incredible career that he had, the yards, the consecutive starts, the TD's and a lot of other things.

Guaranteed first ballot HOF - if he ever retires :D

DesertBrew said:
29 of those INTs were because the receivers fingers broke since he threw it so damn hard. The other 141 were poor decisions ;).

I'm pretty sure I heard Madden say last night that 138 of those 141 were because the receivers ran the wrong routes.... :confused:

;)

ohiobrewtus said:
I agree. No one is ever going to associate Favre with the INT record. They're going to associate him with the incredible career that he had, the yards, the consecutive starts, the TD's and a lot of other things.

Guaranteed first ballot HOF - if he ever retires :D

Maybe he wants to beat Blanda's other record of playing until he's 48.

the_bird said:
I'm pretty sure I heard Madden say last night that 138 of those 141 were because the receivers ran the wrong routes.... :confused:

;)

Ya, that sounds like something Madden would say.

491288643_c3fad0194f_m.jpg

I really don't care if Favre has the INT record. I look at it this way- it took Favre 17 years to throw that many INT's It only took Blanda about ten. Yeah, I know Blanda was in the league for around 25 years, but he only had decent playing time in about ten of those years, so that's my story and I'm sticking to it. And that was with what, 12 or 14 games a season to Favre's 16?

Peter King had some great stats in his MMQB column today, regarding Favre/Blanda.

This should put to rest any negativity (but it won't :rolleyes: )whatsoever regarding Favre tying/breaking Blanda's record:

Fun facts about the all-time interception co-leader, George Blanda, and the man who just tied Blanda's career record of 277 interceptions:

• Blanda threw 277 interceptions in 4,077 career passes. Favre has 277 interceptions in 8,433 attempts.

• Blanda played in an era where the interception was a way of life in the old AFL. Imagine this: In 1962, he threw one interception per each 9.95 attempts -- 42 picks in 418 throws. In Favre's worst interception year, 2005, he threw one interception each 20.93 throws -- 29 in 607 attempts.

• Blanda played in four decades (1949-75) and over six presidential administrations -- Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon and Ford -- and he was only a year from playing after a seventh president, Jimmy Carter, was elected.

• Blanda's career touchdown-to-interception differential was minus-41. Favre is now plus-146.

• Blanda's career completion percentage: .477. Favre's: .612.

My thoughts on the game last night? They are who we thought they were, and we let 'em off the hook.

I'd trade the 4 wins for that loss (to be a win) last night. Terrible, terrible terrible. The momentum shifted on a bonehead play by Mr. do-no-wrong too. Throw that freaking ball away and we don't lose that game. You can't play sloppy against the Bears, you just can't. I hope the team learned a valuable lesson last night.

I've got to tell ya, dude, i've enjoyed the start of this season and i've been watching every pack game that i have time to. truth be told, every time i see the old man out there making it happen it reminds you of yourself and your fellow pack/hbt'rs and how you must be enjoying this season so far. i think i'm a fan now, and i'm willing to recant my former favre-bashing!!!!

...but there's no way they could hang with the pats.....mwwwahahahahahahaaa!!!!

Fiery Sword said:
I've got to tell ya, dude, i've enjoyed the start of this season and i've been watching every pack game that i have time to. truth be told, every time i see the old man out there making it happen it reminds you of yourself and your fellow pack/hbt'rs and how you must be enjoying this season so far. i think i'm a fan now, and i'm willing to recant my former favre-bashing!!!!

...but there's no way they could hang with the pats.....mwwwahahahahahahaaa!!!!

That's your first post in 5 months? You lurve Favre!
Welcome back!

Well, I'm off this evening to head up to cheeseland for the Packers-Skins game.

More than likely I'll see the INT record, but I could absolutely care less. It is a meaningless record in a career that will never be duplicated. Yes, we'll see better QBs, we'll see the "good" records broken, but IMHO, no QB is better known or more talked about than #4. His ironman streak is the only one that matters and it will NEVER be broken. For a QB to play 260+ games straight, that is amazing.

Anyway--See you all back here next week!!!!!!!!!!

Dude said:
Well, I'm off this evening to head up to cheeseland for the Packers-Skins game.

More than likely I'll see the INT record, but I could absolutely care less. It is a meaningless record in a career that will never be duplicated. Yes, we'll see better QBs, we'll see the "good" records broken, but IMHO, no QB is better known or more talked about than #4. His ironman streak is the only one that matters and it will NEVER be broken. For a QB to play 260+ games straight, that is amazing.

Anyway--See you all back here next week!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to hope you're right, Dude, but Mannings gonna break 'em all, including the ironman. Alas.

Bernie Brewer said:
I would like to hope you're right, Dude, but Mannings gonna break 'em all, including the ironman. Alas.

Re ironman. Kinda wierd how Eli can't stop from getting hurt and Peyton doesn't. Maybe Eli isn't related to Archie? ;)

as for records, dunno Bernie, they're pretty much on even course for TD's thru their 1st 10 years aren't they (cept for picks) and Brett keeps adding #'s to it as well. It could happen though...

Other than the Jaw injury in 2001, has Manning really had to overcome any *serious* injuries?

Jaw lasted several weeks all other injuies were short lived.
The repetative stress injuries over the next 5 years will tell.

Dec 21, 2005 Knee
Dec 24, 2003 Finger
Dec 18, 2002 Knee
Dec 12, 2002 Knee
Dec 08, 2002 Right knee
Dec 05, 2001 Jaw
Nov 29, 2001 Jaw
Nov 21, 2001 Jaw
Nov 14, 2001 Jaw
Nov 11, 2001 Chin
Sep 05, 2001 Knee

Evan! said:
Here's to Favre breaking the record next week against the Skins. :mug:

Two INTs = W. I'll take that ratio every game.
Congratulations on the Record. Wouldn't you rather have the W instad of the L? The W will last all season. The vaunted record will, by all of the h8rs accounts, last all of 1 week.

:rockin:

olllllo said:
The vaunted record will, by all of the h8rs accounts, last all of 1 week.

1 week? It may stand for a little longer than 1 week.

Gotta love the Onion. I wonder how many people THIS one will fool. Lemme just nip this one in the bud: the onion is FAKE NEWS!

And yeah, olllllo, I'd much rather have the win...but even if he'd made no interceptions, we'd still have lost. Two terrible calls, two stone-handed WR's, and pretty much the worst offensive play calling in the second half that anyone could ever dream up (deja vu...Giants?). We had no chance. I say fire Al Saunders and give the reigns back to Joe. I think Saunders proved that the second half of the Giants games wasn't a fluke. It's indicative of his "hey, we're up by a few points going into halftime, let's lie down for the next 2 quarters" philosophy, and it's getting really pathetic. Cooley had a career-high 109 yards in the first half. He was kicking ASS and catching everything Campbell was throwing at him, while Moss and Randle El were dropping every pass. So what does Al Saunders do in the second half? Not throw to Cooley at all. REALLY smart. FIRE HIM!

Evan! said:
Gotta love the Onion. I wonder how many people THIS one will fool. Lemme just nip this one in the bud: the onion is FAKE NEWS!

And yeah, olllllo, I'd much rather have the win...but even if he'd made no interceptions, we'd still have lost. Two terrible calls, two stone-handed WR's, and pretty much the worst offensive play calling in the second half that anyone could ever dream up (deja vu...Giants?). We had no chance. I say fire Al Saunders and give the reigns back to Joe. I think Saunders proved that the second half of the Giants games wasn't a fluke. It's indicative of his "hey, we're up by a few points going into halftime, let's lie down for the next 2 quarters" philosophy, and it's getting really pathetic. Cooley had a career-high 109 yards in the first half. He was kicking ASS and catching everything Campbell was throwing at him, while Moss and Randle El were dropping every pass. So what does Al Saunders do in the second half? Not throw to Cooley at all. REALLY smart. FIRE HIM!

Well, the Packers made a pretty good adjustment at the half and put a CB on Cooley instead of a LB. It made a huge difference.

Regarding the Skins offense, that's what you get with Gibbs, IMHO. That is his style and always will be.

I'll tell ya, I'd take Campbell on my team in a heartbeat. He's a cool cucumber back there.

Just curious? What were the terrible calls you speak of? Seems to me we got the 2 worst calls. 2 TDs taken away really hurts. Bubba was forced out!!!!!!!

Homer alert:

WTMJ.com is replaying the first game where Favre started his career as a Packer. Click the "Listen Live" link to get the stream.

On another note, Packer great Max McGee died yesterday, this is also a good chance to listen to him as well. He was the packers commentary guy on the radio for the above game.

Dude said:
Homer alert:

WTMJ.com is replaying the first game where Favre started his career as a Packer. Click the "Listen Live" link to get the stream.

On another note, Packer great Max McGee died yesterday, this is also a good chance to listen to him as well. He was the packers commentary guy on the radio for the above game.

Sad to hear about Max. He was a great player. But he was a horrible announcer. And Jim Irwin, McGee's partner, was worse. I was soooo happy when they finally retired and and TMJ got a good broadcast team with Larrivee and the Rock. They can paint a good mental picture of a game.

For anyone that didn't get to hear the hometown radio call last night (Wayne and Larry roolz!):

Sorry for the quality--that is the way it is on the replay (I have a field pass subsription) from the Packers website. Still a great call.

The dagger in the mile high city!

(Might have to right click and "save as" if the audio won't open independently.)

Yup- heard that replayed several times today on WTMJ. I hope they hang onto those two guys for quite awhile, they're awesome.

So I'm out here watching the Pack and midway through the 3rd quarter they decide to switch games to the Skins & Eagles. Stating we're taking you to a "more competitive game". :mad:

DesertBrew said:
So I'm out here watching the Pack and midway through the 3rd quarter they decide to switch games to the Skins & Eagles. Stating we're taking you to a "more competitive game". :mad:

I only have two statements for that - DirecTV and NFL SUNDAY TICKET. Of course I am in Packer Country and it doesnt change even if the game is a blow out.

Jeff

Man! I figured this was Favre's last year but if he keeps playing like this who knows...
I can't help but root for the guy.

8-1???

Mr. Favre is playing better than '96. He got lucky with one bad pass, but 3-4 years ago those went the other way. Good on him.

It sure is fun to watch this. Enjoy this Packer fans (and even non-Packer fans), you are witnessing a legend. We'll never see a QB like this guy again. I don't even get pissed during the games anymore--this is too much fun to watch!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.