Favorite Yeast per style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WLP007 for common ales and stouts. A very forgiving yeast and tolerates yeast wash harvesting for many generations.

WLP830 for most lagers, even oktoberfest, another forgiving yeast.

Safbrew wb-06 used at 60F for wheat beers and witbier, better after harvested and pitched as a liquid in subsequent generations.

I brew a lot of American Pale Ales and Ipas so I use a lot of Wy1056 and US05. I also freeze yeast and have 11 varieties in stocWy195k. Next in line I have probably used, Wy1945 Neobrittania the next most. I have a saison and a Munich Lager in fermentation now and probably a couple of belgian ales next so... Maybe Wy3787 Trappist high gravity. Although I want to look at a belgian session beer. I think Northern Brewer's Patersbier used the Trappist.

Given that I tend to stick to English and Belgian styles...

English beers I absolutely LOVE Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale. I've started considering it my "house" strain.

Belgian beers I'm partial to Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity or Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison (depending on the beer).

Other strains I like, I use Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen for Hefeweizens, Wyeast 2565 Kolsch for Kolsch, and for American styles I've experimented with other strains but end up falling back on Wyeast 1056 American Ale.

For German lagers, since the extent of my temperature control is a wet t-shirt swamp cooler, I fake it and use either Wyeast 1007 Altbier or 2565 Koelsch.

For English ales, I like Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire or 1084 Irish. But for Scotch ale I like 1728 Scottish.

For American ales, I don't know. I've used US-05, but am considering a move to Wyeast 1450 Denny's Favorite Fifty or one of the other American ale yeasts.

And this winter, I hope to finally make a real lager with Wyeast 2112 Steam. I still won't have real temperature control, but can continue employing a swamp cooler with a house temperature of 65 degF.

I see a lot of love for Wyeast on these forums but I don't have a dealer that carries it in my area.

@sptaylor70, your climate is perfect for swamp cooler techniques. I was born in Raton and lived in Las Cruces as a child.

Why, yes. Yes it is. And that's why my pseudo-lagers turn out as clean as they do. I'm hoping to try a Vienna pseudo-lager in the next month or so. I'm guessing that SE Washington is less ideal, in that respect. Although your weather should be a fair bit cooler, so you'd start out way ahead on that score. Probably grow hops in the back yard, too.

Wyeast-White Labs equivalents can be found at the Mr Malty website. My LHBS carries Wyeast, Fermentis, and Danstar yeasts. And although I have no issue with dry yeast, it does give a limited palette.

For me, the go-to for saisons is the Wyeast 3711. Less fussy in fermentation, and great results.

I brew mostly English style ales and my go to yeast is s-04. For dry yeast this is a monster. For most of my non English brews I go with WLP 001 cal ale also a monster yeast.

There is a recent brew strong episode on this. JZ's faves are 001 for ales, 830 for lagers, and I can't remember the Belgian strain. He also liked the was west Yorkshire.

Add me as another West Yorkshire fan. So much character while being incredibly drinkable. I use it in all my English ales including all of my stouts and porters.

US05 for my American pales, IPAs, ambers, browns etc.

WLP550 for any Belgian ale other than saison which gets WLP568 saison blend. The 550 is not overly fruity like some others and it has a nice spicy note. 568 gives nearly the same flavors as the Dupont strain without the stalling problem.

WLP830 tastes like a lager should taste. I don't know how else to explain it.

I'm still developing tastes for different strains, but for English ales or stouts I use London ale iii. American ales I use Denny 's favorite 50. I don't do lagers. And any Belgians I use 3711. Though I've been meaning to try a trappist yeast. Those are my main "house" strains.

From what I have used...

WLP001 really does make great tasting beer in American styles. There is a reason it is so popular.

WLP830 -- I have used this on a German Pilsner and a CAP. The Pilsner is done, and tastes great, and the CAP just got done fermenting. What a great yeast:
Really short lag time for me (4 hours)
Finished to FG in a week (around 79-80% attenuation too)
Sample at a week was good enough to drink, almost don't feel like you need to lager (still did though). No sulfur or off flavors that need to drop out.

Back