Favorite Wisconsin Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a native Wisconsinite with very fond hopes of returning to live in my home state within the coming year. Here are my favorite Wisconsin beers...now, realize that I've been out of the state since 1992.

Leinie's Red
New Glarus Fat Squirrel
Point Amber

One of my daughters lives in Monroe and she brought me a six-pack of some Central Waters brew. I drank it, but didn't care much for it. It seemed to have a metallic aftertaste.

glenn514:mug:

Well, I will have to agree with many here... I had the hopalicious at Ale Asylum just yesterday and I thought it was unimpressive... the Armageddon though, was great!

I am not a big fan of Spotted Cow. I love Dancing Man Wheat. The only thing that would drag Wisconsin down overall is lack of hoppy beers and I think the Belgian styles are underrepresented. I hope at some point Dan lets Randy Thiel help make a few beers. Randy was the head brewmaster over at Ommegang when they started up.

Dancing Man Wheat
Moon Man
Stone Soup(not being made next year)

Ale Asylum - Hopalicious
Ale Asylum - Ambergeddon
Tyranena - Bitter Woman
Tyranena - Hop Whore

Seriously? All this New Glarus love without a single mention of Belgian Red, Raspberry Tart, and Enigma? Those are easily the best they make. You can get a frickin IPA anywhere.

I am not a big fan of Spotted Cow. I love Dancing Man Wheat. The only thing that would drag Wisconsin down overall is lack of hoppy beers and I think the Belgian styles are underrepresented. I hope at some point Dan lets Randy Thiel help make a few beers. Randy was the head brewmaster over at Ommegang when they started up.

Dancing Man Wheat
Moon Man
Stone Soup(not being made next year)
What?!?! Where did you here this from?

What?!?! Where did you here this from?

Click on the sneak peak link. Stone Soup isn't on the list. I missed the vote this year. That is one of the cooler things that New Glarus does. Every year they have a vote on the beers for the next year with a list of all the beers they have ever made. Then they have a section where you can recommended a style and vote on the style you recommended and the styles others recommended.

Not a big fan of Belgian Red or Rasberry Tart. Wish I was a fan of the style because it is a fascinating style. Wife and I picked up the gift pack with a bottle of each and two New Glarus flute glasses.

I'm a pretty big fan of New Glarus Golden Ale. I have my parents hauling a 12 pack out to me for Christmas.

Wow, that is an expensive haul at $8 a bottle. Good stuff though. I had a bottle the first year and then a bottle of the same batch a year later. Much better after a year.

The Belgian Red from New Glarus is just a little over the top for me...

I do agree the style is cool, but it is too sweet to for my tastes.

If you look at the 2011 schedule Road Slush or Crackd Wheat aren't on there either. I have a hard time believing there not brewing all these..

They didn't do Crackd Wheat this year and they didn't do Road Slush in 2009. They have a slew of beers they don't make every year(at least 20). They have a vote every year(or at least the last two years) to see what people want. I am sure that plays some part in what they brew.

they did Cracked wheat for 2010, and I think Road Slush was new. I'd be bummed if they didn't do Stone Soup again. Its really one of their best.

You are right, they did make Crackd wheat this year. Road Slush was brought back off of the Beers We Have Known and Loved list. We had it in 2008 but not 2009. It wasn't new this year. My wife was not happy they didn't make it last year. They shift beers in and out of their rotation based on demand. The best we can hope for is voting in late August for the return of Stone Soup in 2012. Snowshoe is coming back early next year.

Fav brewery is Lakefront Brewery - Riverwest stein (probably my favorite everyday beer), IPA, Fuel Cafe

Also Like:
Capital brewery - amber and pale ale
Sprecher - black bavarian
Furthermore - 3 foot deep
Milwaukee Brewing Co. - Louies Demise
Delafield Brewhaus - delafield amber
Tyranena and Ale Asylum both have beers I like a lot, but nothin stands out with them.

I've come to really appreciate Central Waters in recent weeks. Their Satin Solstice Imperial Stout is excellent and the Happy Herron Pale Ale is a great every day beer - very well balanced beer. I'm looking forward to trying their other beers.

Latest posts

Back