Favorite "Odd" Beer Pairings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NothingRhymesWithCurtiss

Reaction score
Sure, an IPA goes great with spicy food, and a Double Stout is awesome with a piece of chocolate cake, but what about the great odd pairings that you've encountered? Let's hear them!

Some of my favorites:

• Porter with PB&J (Crunchy Peanut Butter; Grape Jelly)
  • West Coast IPA and Sour Patch Kids
  • Cider and Cinnamon Rolls

Cream Ale and pretzels with mustard

Guinness float with mint chip ice cream

Hefeweizen and lemon crepes

American lager and Chinese food (I'm a cheap date)

Cider and cinnamon rolls sounds too sweet for me. But then again, I haven't had SPKs in ages either.

I made and ipa with enough grapefruit flavor to count as a breakfast smoothie once!

Dry perry with grilled fish is great. Most dry perry / cider pairs with a lot of stuff. A nice dry porter with rib-eye steak is a favourite as well.

If a Mexican restaurant has a Hefeweizen on tap, get that with your tacos/burrito/etc.

Malty slightly eatery beers like Irish Red, especially Sam Adams, is great with eggs over easy and those runny yolks.

Oh, by the way, a snakebite of sour and medium dry cider is great. Berlin weisse is good as a sour in it. Nice and refreshing.

Imperial stout with dry brut cava is another cracking blend for an amped up black velvet

Even though I liked someone's list with an ice cream float, I've tried several iterations of beer-ice cream floats and haven't found one I'm crazy about or even like much at all.

English bitter with a big cheese toastie. A proper one fried in lots of butter with pile of different cheeses.

I don't generally like beer with food, but I made an interesting discovery recently. I was eating sushi and drinking a Bell's Expedition Stout. Something about the beer and the soy sauce that I put on the sushi really worked well together.

I don't generally like beer with food, but I made an interesting discovery recently. I was eating sushi and drinking a Bell's Expedition Stout. Something about the beer and the soy sauce that I put on the sushi really worked well together.

Years back my wife and I went out for sushi and the only local craft beer on draft was Short's Bellaire Brown. More so wanting a solid beer than a "beer pairing," I ordered it, and damn if it didn't go well with the sushi! I agree that it was something about the soy sauce melding with chocolate, caramel and toast flavors.

You guys love all things pork! Maybe you have them under another name? Very typical in pubs but also other European countries like Spain (chicharrones). They are bits of pork rind that have been deep fried until crispy and then seasoned. Served out of a packet like crisps or peanuts.

You guys love all things pork! Maybe you have them under another name? Very typical in pubs but also other European countries like Spain (chicharrones). They are bits of pork rind that have been deep fried until crispy and then seasoned. Served out of a packet like crisps or peanuts.

Pork rinds!:)

Rinds are the puffy, crispy ones, and cracklin's are the hard, break-your-teeth bits.

TIL that pork rinds are called scratchings in the UK.

:)

And yes, they are great with beer. Pork fat rules, baby!

Rinds are the puffy, crispy ones, and cracklin's are the hard, break-your-teeth bits.

TIL that pork rinds are called scratchings in the UK.

:)

And yes, they are great with beer. Pork fat rules, baby!

The British ones fall in between. Slightly puffy with bits of fat / lard that is soft and some fairly hard bits. I've had the puffy crispy light ones in Spain.

Back