Favorite IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bridgeport is tasty.

Mine are (in no particular order) -

1) Founder's Centennial IPA
2) Laughing Dog Devil Dog IIPA (out of Sandpoint, ID)
3) Boundary Bay IPA
4) Deschutes Hop Henge IIPA

Its hard to limit the IPAs because I love 'em so much.

Just had Full Sail's IPA. Not bad - very nice nose and well balanced. A little too "commercialized" in the flavor. I'd like to see something more bold from a micro.

1. Stone Ruination IPA
2. Green Flash Imperial IPA
3. Deschutes Inversion IPA
4. Terminal Gravity IPA
5. Full Sail IPA

Although I love IPA's...they are all good.

Dan

In no particular order:

Dogfish 75 Minutes (only available on tap and only at my local DFH Alehouse - You can't even get it at Sam's original brewpub)

Clipper City Loose Cannon

and I like the SN Celebration Ale.

Chehalem Mt. (Golden Valley)
Racer X (Bear Republic)
Pliny The Elder (A double from Russian River)

All hard to find out of area.

1. Bell's 2 Hearted
2. Sierra Nevada IPA
3. Stone's Orig. IPA
4. Goose Island IPA(great on draft)
Haven't had any good IPA of mention locally in awhile. My closest local brewpub is about 30mi away and I live in a dry county(no alcohol sales):mad: A fellow at the brewclub meeting had a great IPA with 8 Simcoe hop additions. Fantastic!!

1. Bell's Two Hearted
2. The IPA on tap at Town Hall In Minneapolis (can't remember the name of it)
3. 21A IPA at 21st Amendment in San Francisco. I don't think it is consistent or they are tweaking the recipe - very good with strong Simcoe the first time, not so much the second visit. It is the beer that got me hooked on Simcoe though, so I think it gets an honorary spot on my list.

Also really liked the one bottle of Stone 10th Anniversary I had, but I think that would be an IIPA.

Here's my top three:

1. Russian River Pliny the Elder

2. Bear Republic Racer 5

3. Russian River Blind Pig

Hop Head!!!!!!!

EB

Probably my favorite IPA was the Daisy Cutter IPA at Willoughby Brewing Company (local brew pub) but it is one of the few I have had on tap.
In the bottle I like:
Hased and Infused (Boulder)
Ruination (Stone)

I havn't had an IPA I don't like but DFH60 was not my favorite. The hops were great but I felt the malt lacked some complexity or something. Ofcourse there have been very few beers lighter than a deep amber that I have cared for.

Craig

CBBaron said:
Probably my favorite IPA was the Daisy Cutter IPA at Willoughby Brewing Company (local brew pub) but it is one of the few I have had on tap.
In the bottle I like:
Hased and Infused (Boulder)
Ruination (Stone)

I havn't had an IPA I don't like but DFH60 was not my favorite. The hops were great but I felt the malt lacked some complexity or something. Ofcourse there have been very few beers lighter than a deep amber that I have cared for.

Craig

IIRC Hazed and Infused is an APA and really doesn't stray into what most would consider IPA territory.

Favourite IPA's?

Stone IPA
Harpoon IPA
Long Trail IPA
Smutty Nose IPA
(with the exception of Stone you can probably tell I'm from New England!)

favorite DIPA's
Stone Ruination
Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye - it probably doesn't qualify technically for the style but it has to be mentioned for its hoppy goodness.

My three favorites:

Bell’s Two Hearted (which I can’t get anymore!)
Two Brother’s Heavy Handed IPA (fresh in the Fall)
Three Floyd’s Alpha King (some will say it’s an APA, but I think it actually leans more towards and IPA)

Favorite IIPA:
Two Brother’s Hop Juice

Favorite brewpub IPA:
Flossmoor Station’s X-IPA (when they have it – more if an IIPA, really, using only Amarillo hops)

Favorite Homebrewed IPA:
my Yellow Rose IPA

John Beere said:
Sweetwater's IPA is mighty tasty...

I guess I would second this. It is very drinkable. Had about 6 10oz servings of these at a 'tour' at the brewery (before dinner). I was a bit wobbly after that.

I guess I like DFH 90 min. I think it is as drinkable as the Sweetwater, a little more flavorful, and higher ABV, but the price tag keeps it out of my fridge.

I live in Atlanta, we just recently were able to buy DFH, and unfortunately it is one of the few IPAs being dicussed here that I can get my hands on. I may be traveling out to Cali. later this summer, hoping to pick-up some better examples then.

3rd the Sweetwater. Was in ATL 2 weeks ago for a national training event for work and sampled some Sweetwater IPA (as well as a couple other offerings at Gibbney's Pub and the Steak and Ale downtown). Good stuff IMO! :)

1. Sam Smith IPA (I'm a big fan of the maltiness of the British style)
2. Fuller's IPA (see above)
3. Bell's Two Hearted Ale (Maybe on the light side of the IPA guidlines)

Sierra Nevada IPA
Dogfishhead 60M and 90M
Flying Dog Double Dog DIPA
Weyerbacher Simcoe IIPA

My new favorite though, is Blue Point Hoptical Illusion IPA.

I just tried Green Flash West Coast IPA, and go back and forth...intensely bitter, almost metallic taste that lingers, with a nice, strong ho aroma. Might be a little too bitter to be a favorite though.

brewt00l said:
IIRC Hazed and Infused is an APA and really doesn't stray into what most would consider IPA territory.
Why is this an APA and not an IPA? To my tastes it has more hops aroma and flavor than many beers labeled IPA and much more than any Pale Ales I have tried. I usually don't care for Pale Ales as I find them too bland.
Is Hazed and Infused that low on bitterness? Its possible I am just less sensitive to bitterness as I don't find that big of between this and say a Stone Arrogant Bastard or Ruination. All are good.:mug:

Craig

CBBaron said:
Why is this an APA and not an IPA? To my tastes it has more hops aroma and flavor than many beers labeled IPA and much more than any Pale Ales I have tried. I usually don't care for Pale Ales as I find them too bland.
Is Hazed and Infused that low on bitterness? Its possible I am just less sensitive to bitterness as I don't find that big of between this and say a Stone Arrogant Bastard or Ruination. All are good.:mug:

Craig

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed hazed but just wouldn't consider it an IPA. Look it up 'round the net and you will see that it's classed as an APA. Boulder just calls it a dry hopped ale. ABV (sub 5%) and bitterness/IBUs (dunno what they are exactly but they sure are not Ruination level by far) aren't up to what most consider typical IPA levels. IMHO the one characteristic that really classes a IPA over an APA would be hop bitterness over just hop aroma/flavors...like SNPA vs SNIPA between bitterness and abv.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/130/6590
Hazed & Infused
From: Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub in Colorado, United States
Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

http://ratebeer.com/Beer/boulder-beer-hazed-&-infused/16129/
Boulder Beer Hazed & Infused
An American Pale Ale brewed by
Boulder Beer Company

Btw, AB isn't an IPA either but classed an American Strong Ale and I wouldn't say it has near the hop bitterness either.

CBBaron said:
...Is Hazed and Infused that low on bitterness? ...
Craig
Not in my book! I love the stuff. I know it is categorized and considered by many to be an APA but, IMO, it definitely falls into the IPA category!

Rhoobarb said:
Not in my book! I love the stuff. I know it is categorized and considered by many to be an APA but, IMO, it definitely falls into the IPA category!

I guess it all depends on what makes an IPA an IPA to you and if hoppy flavors and nose are equal to bitterness to you. Sierria Nevada Pale Ale has both a higher abv and I perceive it as more bitter than Hazed....is it an IPA too?

In no particular order:
  • Humboldt IPA Nectar
  • Dogfish Head 90 Minute IIPA
  • Lagunitas IPA

Favorite around here...South Street Brewery.

1. Smuttynose IPA
2. Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
3. I think I might actually have to go with Magic Hat Circus Boy (I think that is the name)

jzal8 said:
1. Smuttynose IPA
3. I think I might actually have to go with Magic Hat Circus Boy (I think that is the name)

I agree with the Smuttynose, good stuff.

Circus Boy is a Hefe, Blind Faith is MHs IPA (both excellent IMO, I really like MH)

brewt00l said:
I guess it all depends on what makes an IPA an IPA to you and if hoppy flavors and nose are equal to bitterness to you. Sierria Nevada Pale Ale has both a higher abv and I perceive it as more bitter than Hazed....is it an IPA too?
True.

The H&Is I've had seemed to have more hop flavor and bitterness than SNPA (still one of my favorites - the first 'craft beer' I ever had!). The aromas seemed about equal. SNPA has 37 IBUs, a higher ABV and uses Magnum, Perle and Cascade hops. I don't know and can't find the IBU count for H&I but they use Chinook, Willamette, Cascade along with Crystal and Centennial for dry-hopping.

Now you're gonna make me have to buy some of each and do a side-by-side comparison! Damn you!!!;) :D

Rhoobarb said:
True.

The H&Is I've had seemed to have more hop flavor and bitterness than SNPA (still one of my favorites - the first 'craft beer' I ever had!). The aromas seemed about equal. SNPA has 37 IBUs, a higher ABV and uses Magnum, Perle and Cascade hops. I don't know and can't find the IBU count for H&I but they use Chinook, Willamette, Cascade along with Crystal and Centennial for dry-hopping.

Now you're gonna make me have to buy some of each and do a side-by-side comparison! Damn you!!!;) :D

I have had Hazed on a couple occasions from the same bottle shop and liked it both times...Not having a draught/common source handy it's hard to say if the bottles were non-representative but have seen many similar comments on the style. Also consider that Boulder also has a beer labeled as an IPA, Mojo IPA (I haven't sampled but have had their Mojo Rising DIPA).

An A/B with SNPA and Hazed would be good business no matter what you classify the beers as:mug:

brewt00l said:
... Also consider that Boulder also has a beer labeled as an IPA, Mojo IPA...
I've had that, too and it is tasty. I was lucky enough to have H&I on tap!

I guess an SNPA/H&I side-by-side is inevitable!

In keeping with the spirit of the thread, someone mentioned Hop Rod Rye and that's another favorite I should have mentioned. And back before he died and his brewery was left to morons to run into the ground :(, Bert Grant's Yakima Brewing made an excellent IPA. Anyone remember having it?

Barley-Davidson said:
I agree with the Smuttynose, good stuff.

Circus Boy is a Hefe, Blind Faith is MHs IPA (both excellent IMO, I really like MH)

Right right. It is blind faith. That used to be one of the usual beers in my rotation.

jzal8 said:
1. Smuttynose IPA

Circus Boy is a Hefeweizen. Oh, now I see someone else saw this too. Yeah, Blind Faith is pretty good too.

Old Thread, New Faves.

1) Lagunitas Hop Stoopid
2) Port Brewing Hop 15
3) Stone Ruination

I guess technically those are all IIPA's.

I totally forgot about one of my new favorite IPAs. I posted my top three a few pages back but I need to say Bear Republics Hop Rod Rye is freakin fantastic! The rye adds a whole new aspect to this beer not to mention the hop flavor/aroma is splendid. Thats right, SPLENDID!

Old Thread, New Faves.

1) Lagunitas Hop Stoopid
2) Port Brewing Hop 15
3) Stone Ruination

I guess technically those are all IIPA's.

A bar down the street does $2 off bombers or bigger on Tuesday.

Got a Hop Stoopid, at a bar, for $4 (about the same as the liquor store price here).

Hop Stoopid is absolutely the best value in IPAs, if not all of beer.

I picked up a sixer of green flash's west coast IPA. always a great selection. their double IPA is outstanding as well.

Back