Favorite Cult Film?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aguirre, the Wrath of God
Nosferatu
Das Boot
The Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

gak27 said:
The Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

Yeeeees! One of my favorite bad movies.

Also on that list are Night of the Leepus and Teenagers from Outer Space

Not to get too OT but, a little blurb by Frank Zappa about those great B-rate monster movies ...

From the song "Cheepnis" (yup that's the spelling)
"I love monster movies, I simply adore monster movies, And the cheaper they are, the better they are. And cheepnis in the case of a monster movie has nothing to do with the budget of the film, although it helps. But true cheepnis is exemplified by visible nylon strings attached to the jaw of a giant spider. I'll tell you, a good one that I saw one time, I think the name of the film was "It conquered the world" (YEAH!) And the... Did you ever see that one? The monster looks sort of like an inverted ice-cream cone with teeth around the bottom. It looks like a, like a teepee or a sort of a rounded off pup-tent affair. And ah, it's got fangs on the base of it, I don't know why but it's a very threatening sight. And then he's got a frown and, you know, ugly mouth and everything, And there's this one scene where the ah monster is coming out of a cave. See? There's always a scene where they come out of a cave, at least once. And the rest of the cast...it musta been made around the 1950's. The lapels are about like that wide, The ties are about that wide and about this short, And they always have a little revolver that they're gonna shoot the monster with. And there is always a girl who falls down and twists her ankle. Hey hey! Of course there is! You know how they are, the weaker sex and everything, Twisting their ankle on behalf of a little ice-cream cone. Well in this particular scene, In this scene folks, they ah, they didn't wanna re-take it 'cause it musta been so good they wanted to keep it, but they... When the monster came out of the cave, just over on the left hand side of the screen you can see about this much two-by-four attached to the bottom of the Thing as the guy is pushing it out, And then obviously off-camera somebody's goin': "No! Get it back!" ...and they drag it back just a little bit as the guy is goin': "KCH! KCH!" Now that's cheepnis. "

it_conquered_the_world_2008052306.jpg

"It conquered the world"

A cult film, also commonly referred to as a cult classic, is a film that has acquired a highly devoted but specific group of fans.[1] Often, cult movies have failed to achieve fame outside the small fanbases; however, there have been exceptions that have managed to gain fame among mainstream audiences. Many cult movies have gone on to transcend their original cult status and have become recognized as classics; others are of the "so bad it's good" variety and are destined to remain in obscurity. Cult films often become the source of a thriving, obsessive, and elaborate subculture of fandom, hence the analogy to cults. However, not every film with a devoted fanbase is necessarily a cult film. Usually, cult films have limited but very special, noted appeal. Cult films are often known to be eccentric, often do not follow traditional standards of mainstream cinema and usually explore topics not considered in any way mainstream—yet there are examples that are relatively normal. Many are often considered controversial because they step outside standard narrative and technical conventions.[2]

By this definition, Pulp Fiction, Big Lewboski and many of the other titles cited here, are not cult films.

Pi, Tampopo

arturo7 said:
By this definition, Pulp Fiction, Big Lewboski and many of the other titles cited here, are not cult films.

Pi, Tampopo

Problem with this statement is, how many people outside your close 'social circle' have seen or liked the big L? I cant think of any

I wanted to kill myself for putting myself through watching Pi (saw it in an artsy theater in Colorado Springs when it first came out). MAYBE I'll give it another shot someday just to see if my opinion changed.

A Clock Work Orange, Dumb and Dumber, Holy Mountain, and my brother in law just introduced me to begotten I have watched it twice (super strange but amazing).

The Hollywood Knights. A really great movie, hilarious, but not very well known. Check out the trailer. Some serious metal in this movie too ... and I mean the kind from Detroit.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gaa5j3tBeBQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

One more from the movie ...

Ford Model-T smokes a Shelby Cobra ...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PSaNqxthToI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Problem with this statement is, how many people outside your close 'social circle' have seen or liked the big L? I cant think of any

What?? uh... What??

I'd guess well over half of the people in the US between 60 and 20 have seen this flick. At leeeast half of them think it's a great.

No, BL is not a cult flick. Far from it.

arturo7 said:
What?? uh... What??

I'd guess well over half of the people in the US between 60 and 20 have seen this flick. At leeeast half of them think it's a great.

No, BL is not a cult flick. Far from it.

Spaceballs as well. Never met anyone who hasn't seen it

Withnail and I

Funniest movie ever!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5EmCKbWS6c]Withnail And I - Lighter Fluid - YouTube[/ame]

Big Lebowski was a huge flop, and didn't pick up steam until a few years after its release. Read up on it, they talk about it all over the internet. Yes, it is popular and well known now, but Lebowski is pretty much the definition of "cult".

Big Lebowski was a huge flop, and didn't pick up steam until a few years after its release. Read up on it, they talk about it all over the internet. Yes, it is popular and well known now, but Lebowski is pretty much the definition of "cult".

It may have started as cult, but by no means does it fit that definition today.

Battle Royale, took forever to get it legally in the US, first watched a bootleg copy from canada.

Blood sucking freaks is a pretty fukced up flick.. If you haven't seen it check it out. It's pretty old, early 70's... How about Pink Flamingo's with Divine.

" The egg man did it"..Crazy movie..

A Scanner Darkly, The Butcher Boy, Dead Alive, Re-Animator, Double Whammy, Headspace, Capote, Kung Fu Hustle... Most of the Herzog offerings.

In response to the Nosferatu fans; find a copy of Shadow of the Vampire.

I'm going to vote for Pumpkinhead, Basket Case, and Frankenhooker rounding out the top three.

I also don't consider movies like The Big Lebowski, Pulp Fiction etc, as cult movies. Cult movies are generally sh1tty, and that's why they're classics. Like Troll 2, or The Rocky Horror Picture Show, both as crappy as can be taken at face value, but both among the most known of all cult classics.

Pi, Tampopo

By THAT definition, Tampopo is not a cult film. It was a major production in Japan. That's like saying a Miyazaki film is a cult film.

That being said I am going to toss out Repo Man, which is a great movie that goes to an even deeper level if you live in LA. It is crazy seeing some of the locations where they shot the film (mostly downtown) back then versus now. If you go to the same places today they look completely different.

Back