Fave Five Music Tracks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tangents...the only way to go if you want to get out of orbit! ;)

What do you use for Delta V??? :D

I knew a guy callled "Schwingshackl", which I understand is "axe swinger"? He and I got on well....luckily!:D

:D:D You nearly made me spit my pint over the keyboard Bill!!!

Getting back on topic, I'm currently listening to "The Essential Lynyrd Skynyrd". Man, the guitar riffs on "I know a little" are smoking!! What a cool album! :cool:

homebrewer_99 said:
I know...I go off on tangents every once (a day :D ) in a while.

I apologize! I really do it to do my part to inform people where mistakes are being made and to spread the knowledge. I'd hate to see someone go through life repeating (stupid) mistakes without saying something. I think I am saving them from future faux pas (is there a plural for that? Faux pi perhaps? Naw, faux pi would be cake...right? ).

But hey, we talk best about what we know best, huh? One of the reasons for this forum!:D

you do it well HB 99! :D and DON'T applogozize. i always need more culture.:)

homebrewer_99 said:
Der (mannlich or masculine), die (weiblich or feminine), and das (sachlich or neutral) more or less describes the sex (gender) of the item. We just use "the" for everything: the car, the highway, the table, the ball.

Wienerschnitzel: Wien (not to get confused with wein or wine) - means the city of Vienna (Austria - just remember there are no kangaroos in Austria), the "er" at the end indicates "something" or "someone" masculine coming from that city, area or region. Schnitt means to cut, schnitzel means a small, thinly cut piece of (usually) pork. So what we are left with is what we call a veal cutlet, or what we call in the midwest a breadeed pork tenderloin. You can also oder these "natur" (natural) meaning without breading.

Adding "Art" to the word like "Schnitzel "Weiner Art"' means a pork cutlet cooked in the style that they cook it in Vienna. It is basically a plain breaded tenderloin without any gravy usually accompanied with "pomme frites" or fried potatoes, or as we say "french fries". Which leads me to they are not "french fries", but "frenched fries" and then shortened by us Ami's (Americans). "Frenching" is a style of cut. Another example would be a can of french cut green beans. They are long slices.

Now when it comes to gravies...they change the whole subject...dang I'm getting hungry. I'm sure glad my wife can cook all this!:D

Wiener Wurst is simply sausage made in the style that they make it in Vienna.

Which leads me to "Bratwurst". To Ami's they are fried or grilled sausages. We've shortened them to "brats" which just means "fried" or "grilled". A foreigner would ask hm/herself a fried or grilled "what"? That's why you say "bratwurst" for single and plural.

End of lesson. Hefe Weizens on me!!:D :drunk:

"pomme frites" - thats French not german! - Potatoes are a central american veg like tomatoes and chilli - Any idea what the native american names for those are? And why do you call a 'wurst' a sausage first? Surely 'wurst' should suffice - no need for this strange 'Un Germanic' word 'sausage' to take it's place.......:)

homebrewer_99 said:
It snot phlegmish, it sdeeep fry-free-friii-Ed...:drunk:

sorry, was that snotty of me ? :D

sorry caplan, we TOTALY hijacked this thread! back to the music and away from my inability to speak other languages! :rolleyes:

BlightyBrewer said:
You nearly made me spit my pint over the keyboard Bill!!! Getting back on topic, I'm currently listening to "The Essential Lynyrd Skynyrd". Man, the guitar riffs on "I know a little" are smoking!! What a cool album! :cool:
I like Skynyrd too. I used to play in a So. Rock band way back in '79-'80 when I lived in NC. We played Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, .38 Special, Blackfoot - Highway Sooooong, singin' on and on....On and on....Whooooo!:drunk:, some Thin Lizzy, Aerosmith, Kiss (we's war diversyphied rednacks)...:eek:

Then I moved back to Jersey (that's right, I'm a Yankee!) and got in another Hard Rock band (same as above with some Rush, Pat Benatar, Tull, Seger, etc. added) and for a couple of years...kept my day job though.

homebrewer_99 said:
..(But we digress back to Germany...:rolleyes: )

I don't think you ever left fully - Some of your heart is still there i reckon! :)

Caplan said:
I don't think you ever left fully - Some of your heart is still there i reckon! :)

ya think! :D

does anybody have the XM or Sirius radio? man, i dig my XM. i drag that thing with me every where i roam.......:cool:

I've got Sirius. My mother gave it to my father for Christmas last year, and when he found out he actually had to pay to listen to the radio he let it sit beside his chair until June when I liberated it. I love it...never even listen to the radio anymore. Been trying to get my brother one for Christmas, but since Stern came on it's impossible to find a receiver.

i had heard the same about the sirius hardware. thanks Stern!

mine's the XM2GO, so if i don't spend too long in the car, i can bring it in. great when brewing too!

iron maiden "aces high"
descendents "hatefull notebook"
the who "a quick one while you were away"
the queers "love love love"
slayer "live undead"

cgravier said:
iron maiden "aces high"
descendents "hatefull notebook"
the who "a quick one while you were away"
the queers "love love love"
slayer "live undead"

nice list cgravier! :cool:

DeRoux's Broux said:
i had heard the same about the sirius hardware. thanks Stern!

mine's the XM2GO, so if i don't spend too long in the car, i can bring it in. great when brewing too!
What's worse is that I've been listening to his show the last couple weeks (seemed obligatory) thinking I would eventually get it, but I still don't. I feel like going into their studio and kicking them all in the crotch (including Robin) and then changing the channel. Oh, well. Maybe I just need a cup of coffee.

I've got my eye on the Sirius boombox...then I can unplug my receiver from the car and plug it into that at the office or at home. We get a lot of the XM channels through Directv...they seem pretty much 1-to-1 with Sirius.

i wondered if there was any difference in Sirius or XM. i don't get Stern either. does nothing for me....i'd rather music than somebody bump'n gums all morning....

BTW, the 5 tracks I heard on "Buzzsaw" channel this morning:
1) The Zoo - The Scorpions
2) Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
3) Helter Skelter - Motley Crue
4) You Got That Right - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Maybe I just heard 4.

DeRoux's Broux said:
i wondered if there was any difference in Sirius or XM. i don't get Stern either. does nothing for me....i'd rather music than somebody bump'n gums all morning....
If you're just into the music I don't think there's a bit of difference. If you're into sports you have to make a decision. I wouldn't mind having XM for the MLB, but I've listened to a lot of NFL on Sirius and I like that. I think XM is carrying the World Cup this year which I would listen to at work if I had it. I think some college teams are affiliating with one or the other which no doubt will sway the more rabid fanbases.

yep, i'd rather the MLB for my Astros. can't wait to check out the spring training games/info! plus, the NASCAR and PGA channels are kinda cool too. XM has hockey too (but i'm still hacked at them for the dead year....)

One thing about living here is that you can always find NASCAR on the FM. You going back to TMS this year? I just renewed my October tickets (ouch). Gonna see if I can move closer to the start/finish.

BeeGee said:
You going back to TMS this year? I just renewed my October tickets (ouch). Gonna see if I can move closer to the start/finish.

eh, probably not this year. my in-laws are kinda hacked, but they'll get over it!!

I have XM for Opie and Anthony. I haven't gone back to terrestrial radio, save for the all news/traffic station. Commercial-free music is excellent. It has the major news outlets (BBC, CNN, FoxNews), political talk, hockey, baseball, (I hear they are getting football from the lil' doggie company in 07), nascar was or is being dropped by xm. I love a lot of the other features too, like seeing what's on other stations, without leaving the one you're on, getting alerts for when a song you preprogrammed comes on, having access to listen to XM online, nearly real time stock stats...and oh yeah, opie and anthony.

I'm horribly late to the thread, but a quick top 5 (for the moment):

"The Energy" - Audiovent
"Ordinary" - Buzzhorn
"Castles Made of Sand" - Jimi Hendrix
"Sweetness" - Jimmy Eat World
"6 Underground" - Sneaker Pimps

My top 5, eclectically:

Beethoven's Ninth
Slayer's Angel of Death
Tori Amos' China
The Stones' Paint It Black
Gorilla Biscuit's New Direction

gaelone said:
...(I hear they are getting football from the lil' doggie company in 07), nascar was or is being dropped by xm.
I knew NASCAR was going from XM to Sirius in 07, but I hadn't heard anything about the NFL moving...do you have a source on that? That would suck, even though I only got Sirius because my receiver was free.

too indecisive to come up with a definitive set, but here's five I dig more than most

Oh Sweet Nuthin' - The Velvet Underground
This is Just a Modern Rock Song - Belle and Sebastian
Fearless - Pink Floyd
I was Born a Unicorn - The Unicorns
Barely Legal - The Strokes

Top five that 'move' me or make me turn it up (in no particular order):

He's A Whore/Mandocello - Cheap Trick
No Matter What - Badfinger
Black Hole Sun - Soundgarden
Hash Pipe - Weezer
Pizza Day! - The Aquabats

In no particular order:

1. In The Light-Led Zeppelin
2. Ride of the Valkyries-Wagner
3. American Pie-Don McLean
4. House of Pain-Van Halen
5. Tom Sawyer-Rush

KK: Floyd's Fearless...that's great. Don't know many people who even KNOW that album. Excellent track that the Black Crowes have been jamming this tour.

DRB: You almost can't go wrong with Slayer. Definitely not with anything on RiB.

BeeGee: I'll find out how much weight there is to NFL-to-XM and post what I can find. I didn't pay much attn because I only really follow hockey.

gaelone said:
BeeGee: I'll find out how much weight there is to NFL-to-XM and post what I can find. I didn't pay much attn because I only really follow hockey.
the Devils i hope? with the Slayer reference and all...do you paint your face up like Putty?:D

gaelone said:
Though I see what you mean, I'd root for the Crankees of the Bronx before I ever routed for that jersey team...and that ain't happening.

dude, what gives?:( the Devil's where my first love of hockey until the Stars came to Texas......

Though I've always lived in NJ, I was closer to NYC than the swamp, so I chose NYR. And with that, of course, comes hatred of the Flyers, the devils, and the Fishsticks.

I hate that with the new focus on intraconference play that I won't see old Zubov this year, or a Gretzky-led Coyotes team...

i like the NYR too. i have a signed Mess stick that i have held on too for many moons.

i do hate the flyers and the penguins w/ a passion. almost as much as i hate the blues, wings, and the oilers......it's a conference thing i guess....

Back