Fave Five Music Tracks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caplan

Reaction score
RULES - List just FIVE tracks that you could say are the personal ones you enjoy the most - Doesn't matter why but 5 tracks that move you

Here's mine

1. 'Love will tear us apart' - Joy Division
2. 'Stay Free' - The Clash
3. 'Al Naafiysh (The soul)' - Hashim
4. 'Morning Theft' - Jeff Buckley
5. 'Heroes' - David Bowie

Bands/Artists that just missed the cut for me - Django Reinhardt, The Wedding Present, Prince Buster, New Order, The Rolling Stones, Iggy Pop Solo, The Stooges, Led Zepplin, Bob Marley, The Stone Roses, The Pixies, Dinosaur Jnr, George Thorogood.

I know we have wide musical tastes here. Indulge...(but just 5 Tracks - ignore my missed selection!).....

Very hard to narrow it down, but here's what I came up with:

1. We're in This Together Now - Nine Inch Nails
2. Räven (The Fox) - Hedningarna (The Heathens)
3. I Miss You - Björk
4. Schism - Tool
5. With or Without You - U2

(I was tempted to list my favorite Swedish song, Varför är det så skönt att knulla bakifrån?, but the translation of that title might get me reprimanded by the mods. :eek: )

This was a tuff one. So may songs through the years that made an impression but here goes, in no particular order.

Smoke on the water--Deep Purple
Behind Blue Eyes--The Who
Never Been any Reason--Head East
Don't Fear the Reaper--Blue Oyster Cult
Xanadu--Rush

We should get one list per day, but off the top of my head:

Graceland - Paul Simon
Me Gustas Tu - Manu Chao
Shine on You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd
Man of Constant Sorrow - Allison Krause & Union Station
A New Way to Say 'Hooray' - Shpongle

I'm certain 15-20 more will pop into my head in minute, currently:

In the Colosseum- Tom Waits
Buena- Morphine
Cowboy Love- The Reverend Horton Heat
Hungover Together- The Super Suckers
I'm Destructive- Dr. Octogon

Many more.

Edit: Girl You Have No Faith in Medicine- The White Stripes was upset by Dr. Octogon.. many are.

5 songs that move me? In no particular order:

(1) Little Wing (Stevie Ray Vaughan's version with no lyrics)
(2) The End (The Doors)
(3) Italian Love Song (aka: the theme from The Godfather)
(4) Stella Blue (The Grateful Dead)
(5) Whale and Wasp (Alice in Chains)

-walker

El Pistolero said:
Me Gustas Tu - Manu Chao
Never had you figured for Manu Chao! (I like him, too, but my wife who actually speaks Spanish hates him)

This task is way too complicated for me, but for today it would be...
Jessica - The Allman Bros.
Always on my Mind - Willie Nelson
Dreams - The Cranberries
Piano Concerto #5 'Emperor' - Beethoven (I count the whole thing as one track)
Como Un Dolor De Muelas - Joaquin Sabina

Top 5 but not in any particular order:

1. Bring It On Home - Led Zeppelin
2. Althea - Grateful Dead
3. Recently - Dave Matthews Band
4. Marty - Rusted Root
5. Put Your Pipe Down Baby - Calobo

Basically, 1 - 3 are my top 3 bands and my favorite song from each changes periodically. #4 & #5 are just a couple other tracks that are makin' me feel good for now.

AHU

1. For those about to rock, we salute you. AC/DC
2. You shook me all night long. AC/DC
3. Should I stay or should I go. The Clash
4. Eruption Van Halen
5. Wango Tango Ted Nugent

Depends on the mood I'm in, but these 5 get the juices flowing.

loop

BeeGee said:
Never had you figured for Manu Chao! (I like him, too, but my wife who actually speaks Spanish hates him)
That's OK, I never had you figured for Ludwig Von. ;)

As to Manu Chao tho...Cheesefood turned me on back when I first got on this board, and I haven't been able to quit listening since.

El Pistolero said:
That's OK, I never had you figured for Ludwig Von. ;)
My mother made me take piano lessons when my father wasn't making me work at the family sawmill...I was conflicted. Neither one really worked out as I waste my life in front of a computer without a lick of musical ability.

BeeGee said:
My mother made me take piano lessons when my father wasn't making me work at the family sawmill...
I would think most aspiring pianists would go pale at the thought of working at a sawmill!:eek:

Maybe.....

Baba O'Reilley- The Who
Symptom of the Universe- Black Sabbath
Burnin' and Lootin'- Bob Marley
Jailbreak- Thin Lizzy
Daniel- Elton John ( Dont say it ! You can think it, but don't say it !)

Them 'ar seem to work for me today.

1. War Pigs - Black Sabbath
2. Every Little Thing She Does is Magic - The Police (Stewart Copeland kickes ass!)
3. Achille's Last Stand - Led Zepplin
4. Yesterday's Wine - Willie Nelson
5. Orion - Metallica

In no particular order..

1) How you remind me - Nickleback
2) Poison - The Prodigy
3) Back in Black - AC/DC
4) Porcelain - Moby
5) Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Oh, and Orion by Metallica rocks DeRoux! I've just been listening to that.

BlightyBrewer said:
Oh, and Orion by Metallica rocks DeRoux! I've just been listening to that.

i can just see Cliff Burton fading through the clouds as that solo breaks out in the middle of the song......gives me goosebumbs......:cool:

Really tough. Five random songs I like a lot in no order ....

Grateful Dead - Scarlet Begonias
Don Williams - Some Broken Hearts Never Mend
Elvis Presley - Suspicious Minds
Frank Zappa - Trouble Everyday
Beatles - Norweigan Wood

DeRoux's Broux said:
very, very tough! i thought of about a dozen more today....:(

No kidding!

Today's list ;) :

1. Living After Midnight - Judas Priest
2. Halo - Depeche Mode
3. Do What You Have to Do - Sarah McLachlan
4. Man in the Box - Alice in Chains
5. Proud Mary - Creedence Clearwater Revival

DeRoux's Broux said:
very, very tough! i thought of about a dozen more today....:(
I told you it was!
TxBrew said:
Elvis Presley - Suspicious Minds
You just reminded me of that one from my past! Classic track! :)

DeRoux's Broux said:
may i add one more, please sir? :)

#5.5 - Lonesome, On'ry and Mean - the late, great Waylon Jennings :cool:
killer tune!
What's the deal with the Ass-Stepping Dunkelweizen? I don;t get it?

5 songs...that's so hard....:confused:

Just on purpose you want to make them long ones....(except too much Freebird can be a BAD thing)...

Inna-Gada-Da-Vida - Iron Butterfly
Ted The Mechanic (or Smoke on the Water) - Deep Purple
Stranglehold - Uncle Ted
Get Ready - Rare Earth
Alice's Restaurant - Arlo Guthrie

DAMN only 5?

homebrewer_99 said:
What's the deal with the Ass-Stepping Dunkelweizen? I don;t get it?

hhmmm? i guess i should have consulted you 1st HB 99 :D my internet translation was supposed to be ass kicking dunkelweizen :confused:

DeRoux's Broux said:
may i add one more, please sir? :)

#5.5 - Lonesome, On'ry and Mean - the late, great Waylon Jennings :cool:
killer tune!

Track 5.5 isn't really allowed! But as one of my favorite musicians (Joe Strummer) rated Waylon i'll let it slide. Just don't let anyone else know i said so....;) :D

homebrewer_99 said:
DAMN only 5?
It's tougher that way - makes you really think about the music that really matters to you personally don't you think?

DeRoux's Broux said:
hhmmm? i guess i should have consulted you 1st HB 99 :D my internet translation was supposed to be ass kicking dunkelweizen :confused:
I understood that. However, an esel (pronounced A-sell) is a donkey. "Arsch" (or "arse" as the Brits say) is what you meant. I know where you're going, but many words don't translate (directly) well.

For adjectives like "great" (one would never say "gross" except in cases like Karl der Grosse (Charles the Great) or as we refer to him most of the time in the French as "Charlemagne") or "Super", which works well as "Super", but for something really good (ass-kicking) one would use "toll" (pronouced like you have to pay it on the highway). Es ist toll (it is great), or Ganz Toll (entirely great)!

So "Eine (Ganz) Toll Dunkelwiezen" is not out of the realm of reality. You can also say "Eine (a) Spitze (spit-za) Dunkelweizen", which would be more proper.

Zum Wohl (to your health)!:D

homebrewer_99 said:
I understood that. However, an esel (pronounced A-sell) is a donkey. "Arsch" (or "arse" as the Brits say) is what you meant. I know where you're going, but many words don't translate (directly) well.

For adjectives like "great" (one would never say "gross" except in cases like Karl der Grosse (Charles the Great) or as we refer to him most of the time in the French as "Charlemagne") or "Super", which works well as "Super", but for something really good (ass-kicking) one would use "toll" (pronouced like you have to pay it on the highway). Es ist toll (it is great), or Ganz Toll (entirely great)!

So "Eine (Ganz) Toll Dunkelwiezen" is not out of the realm of reality. You can also say "Eine (a) Spitze (spit-za) Dunkelweizen", which would be more proper.

Zum Wohl (to your health)!:D

see, i knew i should have consulted you first! thanks for the "German for Dummies" lesson. :D

the change has been made......

Prosit!

Der Wienerschnitzel used to attract German photographers. They changed it to just Wienerschnitzel thinking it would correct the problem. Wiener Wurst would have been more appropriate.

Genghis77 said:
Der Wienerschnitzel used to attract German photographers. They changed it to just Wienerschnitzel thinking it would correct the problem. Wiener Wurst would have been more appropriate.
Der (mannlich or masculine), die (weiblich or feminine), and das (sachlich or neutral) more or less describes the sex (gender) of the item. We just use "the" for everything: the car, the highway, the table, the ball.

Wienerschnitzel: Wien (not to get confused with wein or wine) - means the city of Vienna (Austria - just remember there are no kangaroos in Austria), the "er" at the end indicates "something" or "someone" masculine coming from that city, area or region. Schnitt means to cut, schnitzel means a small, thinly cut piece of (usually) pork. So what we are left with is what we call a veal cutlet, or what we call in the midwest a breadeed pork tenderloin. You can also oder these "natur" (natural) meaning without breading.

Adding "Art" to the word like "Schnitzel "Weiner Art"' means a pork cutlet cooked in the style that they cook it in Vienna. It is basically a plain breaded tenderloin without any gravy usually accompanied with "pomme frites" or fried potatoes, or as we say "french fries". Which leads me to they are not "french fries", but "frenched fries" and then shortened by us Ami's (Americans). "Frenching" is a style of cut. Another example would be a can of french cut green beans. They are long slices.

Now when it comes to gravies...they change the whole subject...dang I'm getting hungry. I'm sure glad my wife can cook all this!:D

Wiener Wurst is simply sausage made in the style that they make it in Vienna.

Which leads me to "Bratwurst". To Ami's they are fried or grilled sausages. We've shortened them to "brats" which just means "fried" or "grilled". A foreigner would ask hm/herself a fried or grilled "what"? That's why you say "bratwurst" for single and plural.

End of lesson. Hefe Weizens on me!!:D :drunk:

I know...I go off on tangents every once (a day :D ) in a while.

I apologize!:eek: I really do it to do my part to inform people where mistakes are being made and to spread the knowledge. I'd hate to see someone go through life repeating (stupid) mistakes without saying something. I think I am saving them from future faux pas (is there a plural for that? Faux pi perhaps? Naw, faux pi would be cake...right? :rolleyes: ).

But hey, we talk best about what we know best, huh? One of the reasons for this forum!:D

You got me all wrong Bill...I really did enjoy reading that post. I find languages very interesting...although I am ashamed to say I cannot speak another language. I started to learn Italian a few years back, and I was amazed at how I found the pronunciation and sounds fascinating and enjoyable to learn. I must get back into learning it, you have inspired me!

I didn't take you wrong. I didn't get the impression that you were miffed in any way.:D

I was just admitting that...I do...every so often...go off...on tangents...:D :eek: !

In actuality, all of us speak words from several languages. For me it's "nice" to know the word origin when you say a word and its meaning.

Many languages, including English are of Germanic origin. Once you learn that you'll amaze yourself at looking at a word and knowing which language it came from.

I like meeting people (Americans of European descent) and translating their names for them. If they know the origin they're surpeised. If they don't they are always pleased to learn something about their names.

Kirschbaum - Cherry tree
Schaeffer (and other variations) - Shepherder (and its variations)
Stahl - steel
Rosenblum - red flower

etc., etc., etc.

Back