Faulty Regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tripeland

Reaction score
I recently got a kegerator and was setting it up today. I attached the regulator to the CO2 bottle, with the outlet connected to gas line with a grey gas disconnect on the end. The regulator knob was screwed all the way off. From my understanding this means that the regulator outlet pressure should be 0. When I opened the gas bottle valve the outlet pressure shot all the way up and the regulator relief valve continuously popped open. Is this faulty, or have I made some rookie error?

The knob is turned all the way to the left. To the point that it is off the regulator. It is a new regulator out of the box.

In that case the regulator is defective - the valve behind the diaphragm must be stuck wide open.
Warranty replacement, hopefully...

Cheers!

Have you tried to screw it all the way in (toward max pressure) and back a few times with gas connected? That may unstick it. Tapped it on the back with a wrench?
Not saying you shouldn't exchange it, but may get you through until the replacement arrives.

Have you tried to screw it all the way in (toward max pressure) and back a few times with gas connected? That may unstick it. Tapped it on the back with a wrench?
Not saying you shouldn't exchange it, but may get you through until the replacement arrives.

Just tried it all then, problem still remains. I can see the part inside the regulator that the knob puts pressure on is loose and pushed in, if that makes sense..

Just tried it all then, problem still remains. I can see the part inside the regulator that the knob puts pressure on is loose and pushed in, if that makes sense..
If you don't feel an increasing resistance the more you screw the knob in, something is stuck, missing or broken.
What brand is that regulator if there's any indication of it?
Hope they send you a replacement soon.

The Taprites are very common and supposed to be among the better ones, but I don't own any of those. I got a double Chudnow and another double one with round shiny metal knobs that needs its threads lubricated periodically. Both have been fine for years.

Back