FastFerment conical fermenter??????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where exactly is it leaking from? Is it missing the black o-ring in the main body where the union part tightens up against?

The leak is between the union and the grey collection ball coupler. Where my finger points in the picture.

Everything else looks good. The o-ring is there and I re-seated it for safe measure.

image.jpg

If o-ring is fine and not torn then it is just not screwed on tight enough. The collection ball and where the union connects to the conical are the only places mine had leaked when I first got it. Just curious, but what is the rubber band for?

If o-ring is fine and not torn then it is just not screwed on tight enough. The collection ball and where the union connects to the conical are the only places mine had leaked when I first got it. Just curious, but what is the rubber band for?

The rubber band is an old school method to help keep a grip to tighten or loosen the collar. It won't tighten any more by hand and come off by hand. I've had trouble getting it apart already and it shouldn't be necessary to use tools to get the seal, others can comment on that to help out. Maybe I need to hit the gym 😔. Not to mention there are sharp pieces of plastic on the collar making it hard to manhandle.

I also don't want to over tighten the union to the conical. Making it hard to tighten even more.

Maybe I have a lemon here.

Weird. I have two of them, but have never had it leak from the union. Mine would leak from the conical to union. I would just add more Teflon to the conical and tighten it as far as it would. Wish I could help with your issue, but I have no advice on it as long as the o-ring is in good shape.

I will have to try the rubber band out.

Weird. I have two of them, but have never had it leak from the union. Mine would leak from the conical to union. I would just add more Teflon to the conical and tighten it as far as it would. Wish I could help with your issue, but I have no advice on it as long as the o-ring is in good shape.

I will have to try the rubber band out.

The other thing I noticed is closing the valve creates a crazy suction making it really hard to loosen the union fitting. When the valve is open, its much easier to loosen. So, I plan on leaving the valve open slightly to loosen the collar enough then shutting the valve entirely before removing the collection ball.

FWIW, thanks for the help... I am exchanging for another as there are other issues I don't want to deal with given its brand new. I noticed a small pin sized hole in the conical itself that leaks slowly and I have cracked union knob where it meets the valve. Hopefully the replacement resolves my issues since I really like the idea of the FF.

The leak is between the union and the grey collection ball coupler. Where my finger points in the picture.

Everything else looks good. The o-ring is there and I re-seated it for safe measure.

Kind of looks to me like there is an internal problem not letting you tighten the inner part the o-ring is in tight enough since the seal is clearly present. Or its missing one of the internal o-rings or white things. Exchanging is probably a good plan.

Inreceived my replacement and have no issues so far with the union fitting and didn't have to overly tighten it to get the seal.

Inreceived my replacement and have no issues so far with the union fitting and didn't have to overly tighten it to get the seal.

I have (2) FF and (4) collection ball unions. There is one combination that is seems to have mismatching threads. It gets harder to screw on with each turn. I usually just swap it out for another when I come across it. One of these days I'll mark it...

Maybe you got one with mismatching threads as well.

I have 2 FFs bought at different times and I can't switch out the unions with the collection ball between them. The unions seem to be 2 different sizes, or have different size threads. Haven't really investigated it because it makes to difference to me. They both work.

I have a vague plan to get a couple of NPT to triclamp adapters made up and install a butterfly valve. I'll probably buy a stainless conical first though, while the FF is awesome for the price spending more than the purchase prices on triclamp hardware for it would be silly

Are any of you guys bottling straight from the fermenter. I bought a fitting to neck down from 1/2 tubing to 1/4 inch tubing. The smaller tubing fit the bottling wand I already had and I also was thinking would slow the flow rate down some. first batch was fine but on the second batch I left the lid cracked by habit(ie; not wanting to create a vacuum) and the flow rate was really high with what is a scary amount of bubbles being introduced into the bottle.
Other than retightening the lid after sugar addition to slow down flow does anyone have tips on bottling with these things?
Also, are there better bottling wands than the ones that come with the cheap kits. All I have seen are the cheap ones and ones using CO2.
thanks

Are any of you guys bottling straight from the fermenter. I bought a fitting to neck down from 1/2 tubing to 1/4 inch tubing. The smaller tubing fit the bottling wand I already had and I also was thinking would slow the flow rate down some. first batch was fine but on the second batch I left the lid cracked by habit(ie; not wanting to create a vacuum) and the flow rate was really high with what is a scary amount of bubbles being introduced into the bottle.
Other than retightening the lid after sugar addition to slow down flow does anyone have tips on bottling with these things?
Also, are there better bottling wands than the ones that come with the cheap kits. All I have seen are the cheap ones and ones using CO2.
thanks

Does your wand have a stopper/plunger at the bottom? The one I have I attached to the spigot on my fermenter, open the valve all the way and the tube fills up. I stick the wand into the bottle and depress the plunger and it fills the bottle till I release the pressure from the plunger. Has always worked well for me.

That's what I have. Did my first batch with one without the spring (all I could find at the time) and think I had more beer on the floor than in the bottles. Bought the one with the spring plunger, works great!

I have the wand without the spring. Do you have brand name or location online I could get a wand like yours in photo.
Also, Does the flow rate out of this filler not cause excess bubbling in the bottle? That is what the no spring filler is doing to me. I may be panicking but it seems like I am introducing air. Thought part of it may be large valve and tubing coming off the fastfill. I was planning on bottling again next Tuesday but will extend the ferment till I can get a filler like yours.

Does your wand have a stopper/plunger at the bottom? The one I have I attached to the spigot on my fermenter, open the valve all the way and the tube fills up. I stick the wand into the bottle and depress the plunger and it fills the bottle till I release the pressure from the plunger. Has always worked well for me.

actually same questions to you AKBrew and thanks for responding.

I have the wand without the spring. Do you have brand name or location online I could get a wand like yours in photo.
Also, Does the flow rate out of this filler not cause excess bubbling in the bottle? That is what the no spring filler is doing to me. I may be panicking but it seems like I am introducing air. Thought part of it may be large valve and tubing coming off the fastfill. I was planning on bottling again next Tuesday but will extend the ferment till I can get a filler like yours.

actually same questions to you AKBrew and thanks for responding.

Mine came in the beginner beer kit I won at a fundraiser years ago. Any local home brew store should have one though I would imagine.

Quick search found this online.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/spring-tip-bottle-filler

Did you make sure that it was the right size? As the link is showing the 3/8" one, and you need 1/2" for the hose that came with the FF.

Not sure if you are in the US or Canada, but got mine from here:

http://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/product-p/ebs-btl-fil.htm

And no, no issue with the flow being too much. Best thing about the spring one, when you let off the spring, the flow stops. The otherwise would allow beer through if you just looked at it the wrong way.

And no, no issue with the flow being too much. Best thing about the spring one, when you let off the spring, the flow stops. The otherwise would allow beer through if you just looked at it the wrong way.

I did actually order one of each as they were cheap. If the 1/2 inch works good than that is the one I will use(I was wrong stating 1/4 inch/should have been 3/8). Presently using 3/8 inch, the crumby one that leaks. I got a 1/2 inch to 3/8 inch adapter and put it inline on the outlet hose to change hose sizes.
I am only on my forth batch and this is really the last major problem I was having with my process so far. Gonna bottle up a SMASH soon as the new bottle filler shows up. Thanks again. I saw that product but it didn't look much better than the other one, good to hear it works from you guys. Cannot wait to bottle it up.

For those that have been in from the beginning (will be 2 years in Oct) have you noticed it getting harder and harder to clean off the krausen ring? Just kegged a Fresh Squeezed inspired IPA and there is a stain that I can't clean completely with soap, water and a sponge. I don't normally use PBW in my two FFs but may give it a try this time.

So far, I've not had any issues with infection, but I'm beginning to think 2 years will be about the useful lifespan of the FF. We'll see...

For those that have been in from the beginning (will be 2 years in Oct) have you noticed it getting harder and harder to clean off the krausen ring? Just kegged a Fresh Squeezed inspired IPA and there is a stain that I can't clean completely with soap, water and a sponge. I don't normally use PBW in my two FFs but may give it a try this time.

So far, I've not had any issues with infection, but I'm beginning to think 2 years will be about the useful lifespan of the FF. We'll see...

I've had mine just over a year and I always use PBW on them. I don't have any issue with a ring from the kraussen *not* coming clean. I do use 125*F water when I clean, so that combined with the PBW may be why mine are still nice and clean. :rockin:

I've had mine just over a year and I always use PBW on them. I don't have any issue with a ring from the kraussen *not* coming clean. I do use 125*F water when I clean, so that combined with the PBW may be why mine are still nice and clean. :rockin:

I use PBW for my kegs but will use it for the FF this time around as well. I'm fairly sure it will clean it but there's obviously a change going on with the surface of the plastic as I've only run into this problem with the last couple of cleanings.

I think the key to this is that you were cleaning it with a sponge. Any time you rub the inside of the thing you are going to introduce micro scratches in the surface. As you get more and more of those, it will be harder to clean it until you just can't.

I have had mine since the original kickstarter campaign and I use PWM and hot water (probably 120F, just hot out of the tap) on mine, and usually just toss it on a Mark II carboy cleaner (which just sprays water + cleaner) until it is spotless. I've never had a problem with krausen sticking. I never rub the inside of it due to paranoia of scratching it. Maybe it is just me.

I think the key to this is that you were cleaning it with a sponge. Any time you rub the inside of the thing you are going to introduce micro scratches in the surface. As you get more and more of those, it will be harder to clean it until you just can't.

I have had mine since the original kickstarter campaign and I use PWM and hot water (probably 120F, just hot out of the tap) on mine, and usually just toss it on a Mark II carboy cleaner (which just sprays water + cleaner) until it is spotless. I've never had a problem with krausen sticking. I never rub the inside of it due to paranoia of scratching it. Maybe it is just me.

I knew it was somehow my fault... ;)

I thought I was doing good by only cleaning with soap, water & a sponge, but you're probably right. Guess I'll start cleaning with PBW to see how much I can prolong the life of this plastic.

Finally got the wall mounts installed. Had to add a couple 2x4's to some exposed struts. About to build a floor stand so I can hold in place to add the wort. Hope all this is worth it... I was definitely sick of the carboy.

The temperature control jacket can be mounted on the wall; it's designed to work with the mounting brackets.

+1 this. I live in Florida and have been using the temp control jacket. It works good. Rotate two jugs(2 liter each) twice a day during high fermentation than one jug twice a day after Ferm calms down. Drops temp about 8-9 deg.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1469670613.084768.jpg

Here's mine with my latest batch fermenting. I think this is my fifth or sixth batch since I bought it about a year ago. I've been very happy with mine. I may even buy a second one if I can get my hands on some more kegs.

I don't have any videos of it in action but I promise it is a good option for a conical on a budget. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

I might get one but I'd need to see it in action first. Their youtube video of a dude talking in front of an empty conical will not cut it. At least fill it with water so we know it can hold the weight for four minutes.

Why are you quoting the second post in this thread, that was posted in 2012?
I love mine and have two on each side of a stand. Don't use carboys anymore. Been about a year and a half and several brews. If you search this thread you can find plenty of pics nod advice.

When securing a sample for gravity readings, do you:

- remove the collection cup and sample from there

- open the top and pull a sample

Sorry if this is so basic, I'm using mine for the first time and... I've been looking for the answer through a forum search for 40 minutes with no luck (although I'm sure the answer is here somewhere!)

I have always just opened the top and put in a sample thief to get one. I guess you could do it from the bottom but you are going to get a lot of yeast and stuff with it.

Back