FastFerment Conical Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbg

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve had good luck with my FF until the past two brews - had to dump them. I highly suspected the conical. They recommend you to not tear it completely apart after every use - even saying to not pull the valve off for at least a year or longer To save the threads.

Well I completely tore it apart tonight and:

• Found black mold on the conical to valve threads.
  • Found dry trub in the threads of the sample valve.
  • Found gunk under the valve cap that uses a spanner wrench.

And this was after I blasted it with water and sat it in Oxiclean overnight.

I have a BrewJacket investment in this conical or I would just toss it.

Others that have this system do you completely take it apart between brews?

Thanks,
Mike

Edited: pic added

IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1278.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

Last edited:
I use mine occasionally but not like I used to since getting my spike FV . I've had the FF for 3 years and have never taken off the valve . I just soak with pbw for a while . When I empty I let it run through the spigot for a bit then the bottom valve. I clean the bottom part of the valve because stuff builds up in that little groove .

I use mine occasionally but not like I used to since getting my spike FV . I've had the FF for 3 years and have never taken off the valve . I just soak with pbw for a while . When I empty I let it run through the spigot for a bit then the bottom valve. I clean the bottom part of the valve because stuff builds up in that little groove .

@Jag75 - thanks (I added pics), what is the Spike FV? Thanks

I'm still cleaning this thing up. Something else I found that is not good - look at the nut for the sample valve. The threads are interrupted! This allows wort/beer to find the threads easily. I'm looking for a way to just plug this port - it is 1" diameter. Also, wondering if a food grade silicon sealant could be used on this fitting?

@Jag75 That Cf5 is a huge step up from the FF.

Mike

I'm still cleaning this thing up. Something else I found that is not good - look at the nut for the sample valve. The threads are interrupted! This allows wort/beer to find the threads easily. I'm looking for a way to just plug this port - it is 1" diameter. Also, wondering if a food grade silicon sealant could be used on this fitting?

@Jag75 That Cf5 is a huge step up from the FF.

Mike

Yeah , its nuts how stuff finds it's way into some of those spots. Yeah the Spike is awesome . I wanted a way to control my temp . Was tired of hanging frozen bottles inside the FF jacket . So I pulled the trigger on the CF5 and built the DIY chiller . I will eventually get another Spike.

Back